Everybody's favourite garden plants.

:D I am a keen gardener and have a peerie garden on the wast side that is reasonably sheltered, but gets a northerly gale :(. The garden in peerie, so I want every plant in my garden to be a corker in some way. (In every way, preferably)

So I thought it would be a good idea to ask other shetlinkers what their favourite plants were and why. This might save me fae buying expensive mistakes that don't thrive very well in the Shetland climate.

I quite fancy a climbing rose to go up over a garden ornament that stands about 5 feet off the ground. Anybody got any favourites? :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for the quick replies everyone, and yes, i do forget to stake lupins, and I actually found dwarf lupins in one of the big plant catalogues. I agree with the wild geranium lover, but would peonies not need quite a bit of shelter and staking? :)

I suppose it just depends on the location and the species/ variety. On how high they grow and how strong the stems.

By the way, my sister says that the same flower grows in some parts of Shetland and not others. Has anyone had experience of this?

My Hostas are doing amazingly well, massive now, with loads of flower stalks -got them as 'babies' from Barbara Fraser from Gulberwick - she is usually at the Cunningsburgh hall on sundays selling plants.

A couple of folk I know have lovely 'Red Honeysuckle' bushes - they are in quite exposed windy spots.

Crocosmia {red Monbresia} does very well here too, as do Dahlias, in pots or in the ground- beautiful big heads on my neighbours ones in the flower beds, and mine in pots last year.

All the best with your garden!

I remember being told when I moved back here 8 years ago having got the gardening bug south that there was no point bringing any of the plants from my garden as they would never survive here. I nun the less dug up a piece of just about every plant from my garden & they are all doing fine. If you like it, try it. If you are after easy reliable plants you cant beat hardy geraniums. Hostas are also a lot tougher than people give them credit for. The thick large leaved ones in my garden don’t get nibbled by slugs at all and down south I grew them in bone dry conditions under a yew tree & they were fine. Personally I love Sea Hollies (Eryngium) mixed with Squirrels Tail grass & cornflowers and maybe some blue Aquilegias. They look amazing, prickly though so you dont want them next to paths. I have a new pergola that I am trying some climbing roses on. There isn’t much shelter around it so they haven’t put on a great deal of height yet but the rose ‘Golden Showers’ is doing well & was easy to get hold of mail order & not expensive. Until your rose gets going you could always have sweet peas. Good luck :lol: