Cost of PC hardware...

SwanNeck

Just noticed that the price of computer hard drives have doubled or even tripled, 1Tb drive last week would cost around £40 - 50, is now £100.

I've been keeping my eye on the Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb Hybrid drive, was on overclockers last week for £89, now it's £155!!

Did a wee bit of digging about an I htink i've found the answer to why this has shot up in price, the Chinese are responsible!!

http://latestchina.com/article/?rid=39354

Guest Anonymous

@Spinner 72

Yeah SSD drives are the way to go I reckon for your operating system drive.

I've noticed massive differences in the read/write figures of the SSD's I've looked at, It's something I'll have to research further.

SSD's are starting to come down to £1/GB, making them a little more reasonable.

I currently have a 1TB HDD for my main boot drive and a 2TB drive for work and Steam games (it has 913GB free... 98% of that is Steam games X_X). I was needing to buy a new 2 or 3TB HDD for my file server... I think it'll have to wait till this situation is sorted out.

Still, good news for companies that bought a lot of HDD stock recently, make a huge profit off them.

Well if its SSDs your looking for then don't go for the traditional 2.5" SSD's, i'd be going for the PCI-E SSD drives, superior read/write speeds but slightly pricier...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-x2-pci-express-ssd.html

And if money is no object....

http://www.ebuyer.com/278529-ocz-480gb-revodrive-3-x2-pci-e-ssd-read-1500mb-s-write-1250mb-s-rvd3x2-fhpx4-480g

On the plus side - RAM prices have been dropping through the floor and are forecast to keep going for a bit yet. Now is an excellent time to load up a box for VM duties.

My dosh is too thin on the ground ATM to even look at SSD drives. I would love one but they dinnae look nearly reliable enough to avoid having to replace them as seams to be their way.

Nice, that exactly what I was thinking of! (minus FF of course! lol)

Tempted to still go for the SSD and just use the external storage I have for now, but will probably kick myself for not waiting as SSD's continue to improve..

Not like its anything new - I remember swithering over whether or not to upgrade to ZX80 from the 4k to 8k ROM. :)

Paid £350 squids for a massive 1MB !!!! "gold card" ram upgrade for my QL

That must be over a grand in todays money !!!!!!!!!!

This was when HD's were just becoming available well to ordinary punters, but i thought the 4MB was just to dear.

Still got that QL somewhere will need to give it a run for old times.

On the plus side - RAM prices have been dropping through the floor and are forecast to keep going for a bit yet. Now is an excellent time to load up a box for VM duties.

I bought 8GB DDR3-PC1333 for £40 yesterday from OCUK. To put this into perspective it cost me £100 for 4GB of the same speed in April last year.