Computer Techy Problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can anyone help me with my problem?

About a week ago I got broadband in Yell. Yesterday my wireless router arrived and I got it all set up. However, I am having a few problems.

I have got the router (a netgear een) working so that I can get broadband on my laptop. I also have a wireless usb adaptor for wir desktop pc (and it's compatible with both the router and the pc). The problem is this; my desktop pc recognises the network, and gets good signal strength, but it can't acctually get on the internet.

Whenever I try to access the explorer, this message appears:

403 error

Access denied because:

Access denied by access control list.

I looked everywhere on the net fir a similar case with no avail. I also tried to contact netgear, but the advice I got was basically a re-word of the router manual.

If anybody thinks they can help me or has any suggestions then I would be aawful bliide.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of modem is it? Some modems don't allow you to connect more than one client!

You could try going into your modems http control panel (type in its ip

in the browser address bar) and ensure that there is access to both

"channels".

It's a netgear ASDL modem/router/firewall and you should be able tae connect as many computers as you like. It's the newer 804.11g type, as oposed to the "b" variety.

You could try going into your modems http control panel (type in its ip

in the browser address bar) and ensure that there is access to both

"channels".

I have tried that but the explorer displays yin 403 message if you type anything intae the address bar.

Thanks fir dy response mr trout, if du has any idder ideas then it wid be fantastic if du could get back tae me ageen.

In response tae dy question peeriebryan, there is a 2meg connection at the exchange, but we live dat far away that we only get 575kbps. Thats easily fast enough tae get songs and stuff though, so I am happy.

The laptop accessed the net easy peasy. I tried tae set up the router on the desktop first, but yin 403 thing kept happening, so I tried it on my laptop and got it up and runnin within meenits. Yeah, its just the desktop that won't connect. Any ideas? :?

I would completely delete the connection to your router from the standalone PC and re-setup first off the bat. Then if it's still the same it 'may' be that you aren't picking up a DHCP connection because your PC's IP is outwith the range specified within the routers range.

Check the range within your routers setup, and on your comp using ipconfig from the DOS prompt. Then adjust if needs be.

I'm hardly a techy, so might not be of much help here, but I have a netgear router working fine with a cabled connection to the PC through the LAN socket and a wireless connection to the laptop.

Have you set the PC's browser to 'never dial a connection'? Tools>internet options>connections in IE.

Alternatively if you try connecting your PC to the router directly it will narrow it down to whether it is a wireless problem.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds to me as if your browser (Internet Explorer or whatever) is set to use a proxy server that is not available on your broadband service provider’s network.

A common cause of that is switching from one ISP, eg Wanadoo - who insist on using a proxy, to another broadband provider. If the proxy is not available on your broadband provider’s network, your browser will generate that error.

Check that you browser is set to not use a proxy server.

Cheers.

Thank you guest. I got the problem sorted this morning before I read your post, however, what you said was exactly right. I had to fiddle about with my proxy server settings to get it working. I also had to hardwire the router to the pc to get it configured.

Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas. :D