Computer Techy Problems

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks twerto,it wasnt all in order as i said :oops:

im clicked da default button and its wirkin noo thank you very much.

Yun's kinda intriguing me, as a PC i have dealings with from time to time was found the day before yesterday to have no sound, for no apparent reason and when i checked the settings it was on mute. The PC user quite definitely doesna ken how to 'mute' it either. Coincidence? Is there an XP key combination to mute, or could an upgrade do this. (I have no idea, my mac has a straightforward mute button on the keyboard)

Connecting/disconnecting some USB audio devices can scramble the settings I find....but maybe that's just me running a machine etc that came from the displenishing sale of Noah's Ark.

Probably a piece of software on the machine that has the audio set to mute. I have noticed that some apps can set the audio on to mute. In your case it could quite easily be a plugin for your browser (Flash, Windows Media, Realplayer etc). You might not notice it loading as it could be for an advertisement on a webpage but each time it does it will mute the volume unless you tell it otherwise. Sodding computers.

Here's a fine peerie "techy" story..

A fellow on a gaming site i frequent posted a problem, dat his hard drive (desktop) hed started makin a "siren noise", followed up by shuttin doon. Which his manual said meant da comp wis owerheatin (funnily enough).

He insisted dis only happened when he wis connected tae da internet.

He got a few stereotypical replies sayin his fan wis knackered, dunna use it till its checked oot etc, however he said he could play games fur oors an aathing wis fine.

Major debates guid aheed, fok arguin ower da load broadband placed on a CPU, dat games "only use you Gfx card for processing" etc. Dir really is some thick "clever" fok oot dere..

Onywaye, at da helly i got a PM fae dis guy sayin he hed noticed his "broadband box" (modem) wis always roastin hot efter da computer shut doon, so could dat be linked?

Turns oot, his ADSL cable wisna lang enough tae be left pluged in, so each time he wanted tae go on da net, he laid his modem on tap o his PC whar da cable could just reach. Dis meant it wis blockin da only vent in da case, an weel da rest is obvious..

He tried settin da router clear o da vent an enjoyed a whole days online gaming, not a siren tae be heard.

I love it whan its da simple things :)

• 4 years later...

Needing some help, I think my Computer needs a clean out, no sure whats going on, last week my daughter downloaded a virus of some sorts which I thought I had fixed, it disabled my AVG and had put an impostor in place which I thought I'd gotten rid of.

The other night I tried installing a wireless mouse and since then nothing is working right, it wont let me open my usual explorer shortcut, wont let me connect to my printer or open a lot of my programmes, I uninstalled the mouse and I tried system restore thats no working right. Google chrome is the only way I can get online and even then i'm faced with a barrage of adverts before I find a page i can access the internet. I rang office supplies this morning but no one has got back to me, just looking for some recommendations of where to go to get help with it???

Cheers.....

Needing some help, I think my Computer needs a clean out, no sure whats going on, last week my daughter downloaded a virus of some sorts which I thought I had fixed, it disabled my AVG and had put an impostor in place which I thought I'd gotten rid of.

The other night I tried installing a wireless mouse and since then nothing is working right, it wont let me open my usual explorer shortcut, wont let me connect to my printer or open a lot of my programmes, I uninstalled the mouse and I tried system restore thats no working right. Google chrome is the only way I can get online and even then i'm faced with a barrage of adverts before I find a page i can access the internet. I rang office supplies this morning but no one has got back to me, just looking for some recommendations of where to go to get help with it???

Cheers.....

If you can manage it, download a copy of Spybot or Malwarebytes anti malware.

Start up in Safe Mode and run a full scan

^^^^ I would second the recommendation of Spybot, I've been using it for years and it is very effective. If you can't get to download/install on your computer, then try to get a copy on a USB key along with the latest update and install it from there.

Once you've got rid of the nasties, an excellent program for generally cleaning out the crap that builds up on your system is Ccleaner. It's quick and effective.

Both of these programs are free.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

http://www.piriform.com/

The only warning I would give about these programs is they may attempt to install one or more toolbars (Google, Yahoo, etc) along with them. To avoid this, simply untick the box during the install process. (I think Ccleaner tried this last time I updated it, Spybot was ok though)

Good luck.

You may well need to run AVG several times as viruses have a habit of "moving/attaching" themselves to other bits in the system registry every time you reboot the system. It may well also entail a total re-install of all of your software (having re-formatted the hard drive first).

I think I'm over your way next Thursday if you haven't sorted it by then and need a hand - let me know and I don't mind assisting. Hope you have got it sorted though by then.

You may well need to run AVG several times as viruses have a habit of "moving/attaching" themselves to other bits in the system registry every time you reboot the system. It may well also entail a total re-install of all of your software (having re-formatted the hard drive first).

I think I'm over your way next Thursday if you haven't sorted it by then and need a hand - let me know and I don't mind assisting. Hope you have got it sorted though by then.

Reformat the disk and re-install everything?????

I wouldn't let you touch one of my PC's..

Reformat the disk and re-install everything?????

I wouldn't let you touch one of my PC's..

Well, having been m/s trained yonks ago, and having dealt with many of my friends' pcs when they have had viruses, put it like this Colin. UNLESS you know every single entry and what the code means in the System Registry and given that viruses have a habit of attaching themselves to different programs, etc., sometimes, and I STRESS sometimes, that is the only way to totally get rid of them. You can run anti-virus softwares to no avail. You can look for a virus removal if available for that particular virus. Many couldn't get rid of the Melissa virus in the early days without doing a complete re-install. In addition, given the number of upgrades on different versions of Windows, you get a lot tidier (and sometimes quicker) system if you do re-install.

You've also got the fact that sometimes just re-installing Windows doesn't work - what would you do then?

Sometimes it isn't necessary to re-format and do a fresh re-load but sometimes it can be the quickest way of getting rid of a virus for good but as I've said above, NOT in all cases.

Hope that explains why - or would you rather spend several hours going through Sysgenedit and the like?