Meals for the elderly (2012 SIC cuts)

hazyday83

I thought the whole point of Meals on wheels was to deliver a 'proper' hot meal ready to eat to people who are unable to prepare a hot meal by themselves, or those unlikely to bother cooking something 'proper' {with vegetables and protein, for one person?}

If part of the savings they think they will make is on the cost of delivery - did anyone else see The Hairy Bikers 3 parts on rejuvenating Meals on wheels? Why don't we get off our butts and offer to organise the delivery within our own communities?! I would be prepared to commit to delivering hot nutritious meals, cooked by locals in my area twice a week.

I know that local authorities are very keen on the voluntary sector taking over responsibilities they can manage to offload, which I don't agree with or approve of, but, I feel that hot meals delivered personally by a human transcends principles and politics...

Buying in frozen meals from England is an absolute insult to Shetland food producers, and to the cooks / chefs currently employed here but facing threat of redundancy.

Questions I feel need answers:

- Are the Social Work Dept going to provide freezers for those who don't have one already and cannot easily afford to buy one? What about folk in very small houses who don't have room for a freezer? And what about folk who cannot easily afford the extra electricity to run a freezer- are they going to subsidise the power?

{The NHS reimburses folk for the electricity used to run the Oxygen Exchanger machines}

I have a friend who doesn't have a Fridge because he says they use too much electricity for someone on a very low income... he has said he will Not be buying himself a freezer, He doesn't own a microwave and will not be buying one himself so will refuse frozen meals so will not be getting at least 3 proper meals with protein, vegetables, fibre etc. a week in future. :(

- Are they going to provide people with microwaves if they don't already have one?

- Are they going to check & service all existing microwaves to check they are working properly and to check for leaks etc?

- Are they going to provide a detailed report on exactly how much the MoW service costs to provide at present, and exactly how much they believe they might save with this importing frozen meals idea?

Actually - if they're going to charge circa £3.50 a meal - it would probably be cheaper and tastier for folks to go out & buy Birds Eye Ready meals from the shop...

...oh- hang on a minute! - is that what the cooncil is Hoping folk will do??! Ah! Problem-Reaction-Solution! ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Council reckons it costs £25 on average to provide a meal on wheels. When was this service last put out to competitive tendering? The private sector could provide locally sourced and freshly prepared meals for considerably less - and many pensioners would happily accept a cash alternative. The SIC/Welfare Trust has spent a fortune building and staffing care centres which it now says it can't afford to run as residential homes. The solution might therefore be to extend day care and provide a meal at the white elephant care centres.

The figure I'd been given was £40 but maybe that's just the local meals. I still want to know how much it's going to cost to send out a fully trained care worker with all the health and hygiene certificates to go reheat the meals safely for those that can't

Who should one approach to ask to see a detailed breakdown of how exactly it costs £25 to produce and deliver each meal?

Meals are cooked in nearby existing kitchen facilities like Care Centres, or School Canteens that had tendered and got the contracts, and I imagine the ingredients will have been very well costed out to keep them well below £2.85, or whatever maximum daily costing the Head Cook has been given...

Yes - cut the top off SIC employees salaries if they get more than £45K p.a., that will save quite a bit!