Instrumental Music Instruction in Schools - Cuts?

wastafirth 01

Is it important for our youngsters that SIC continue to offer instrumental music lessons in a VARIETY of instruments?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is it important for our youngsters that SIC continue to offer instrumental music lessons in a VARIETY of instruments?

• Yes
    • No

I am looking for opinions on whether or not the Shetland community feel that Instrumental Music Tuition offered by SIC is valuable to our youngsters.

Pupils have/have until recently the option to receive tuition in the following instruments:

Brass (Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba etc.)

Woodwind (Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone etc.)

Strings (Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass)

Percussion (Drums)

Traditional Instruments (Fiddle, Accordion etc)

Piano

Voice

It has been widely publicised that parents are now charged for such lessons; and given the current period of cutbacks we are experiencing, perhaps this is acceptable, however, would it be acceptable for SIC to reduce the range of instruments offered or worse still offer no instrumental instruction?

I feel that this area of education is extremely vulnerable to cuts which could have a huge impact on not only the opportunities our youngsters could (should?) have whilst at school, but our musical culture here within Shetland. We are all aware of how many fantastic traditional musicians Shetland has bred, but Brass for example - can you imagine Lerwick UHA without the Brass Band? Could the Brass Band survive without youngsters learning in school? Even within Woodwind and String tuition, did you know that many Shetland youngsters have won places to take part in national orchestra training courses south? This is something we should be proud of!

Learning an instrument is a fantastic way of building confidence in a young person; there has also been research carried out to show that pupils who received such instruction have performed better across the whole school curriculum. The other benefit for pupils who undertake individual music instruction at school is that many universities look for students who have the discipline of learning an instrument whilst at school on top of their regular studies when they are allocating places.

Learning an instrument is not for everyone, granted, but I believe we should still have it as an option for every pupil.

We are all being asked to vote on 3rd May and we all have our priorities for services we would like to maintain and areas of concern. Viking Energy, school closures and cuts for the elderly are all important matters that need to be considered carefully, but please remember there are other cuts being thought about which will have a huge impact on our community long term if the wrong decisions are made now. I, myself, don't know who I am going to vote for but I hope whoever is elected into our new council doesn't make music tuition as the scapegoat for "easy" cuts.

This is just my opinion; I look forward to hearing yours.

The present council have been very short sighted as far as music tuition is concerned. It is really very little they are going to save, and in the bigger picture, music has brought thousands of people to Shetland over the years. There have never been so many Shetland musicians playing proffesionally worldwide spreading the the word about Shetland and it's music. It can't be valued in monetary terms.

I agree that the savings made won't be huge but the SIC have agreed to go down the slash and burn route with cuts and they are scraping around looking at anywhere that they might be able to save a pound or two, to hell with the consequences.

I do wonder, does the SIC have to pay for music tuition?

Could the Shetland Arts fund it? I know that they are largely funded by the Charitable Trust and maybe if VE gets going they'll be strapped for cash too, but maybe we need a bit more joined up thinking, what with Mareel now opening?

The present council have been very short sighted as far as music tuition is concerned. It is really very little they are going to save, and in the bigger picture, music has brought thousands of people to Shetland over the years. There have never been so many Shetland musicians playing proffesionally worldwide spreading the the word about Shetland and it's music. It can't be valued in monetary terms.

Though a fixed figure can't be pinned down, It doesn't take much common sense to see that music tuition is a value for money investment.

The boost to the economy this next weekend for the Folk Festival alone would probably cover it, let alone all the other festivals built on the reputation and participation (largely for free) of local talent.

Of course,lots of us may have been playing anyway, but I know of many like myself who got a great kick-start from the tuition at school. Then there are those who may never have discovered their talents and /or enjoyment of music without it.

Would multi-million pound events like the Tall Ships even be feasible without the input of local musicians?

I can understand why it comes across as a saving for the education dept, as they have no direct return and it is surplus to their statutory requirements, but, sentimentality and tradition aside, its clearly a good investment, so why can't it fall under the remit of one of the Trusts?

Well in the danger of getting my heed bitten aff i think all children should get music as a subject at school, just like sport, drama and other subjects, but if you want extra above that then you should pay for it like anyother hobby, why should others pay for the selected few, most of which will drop it as soon as the either leace school or hit adulthood, you want it you pay for it!

I think Shetland is past the days of freebees now.

I actually have some sympathy with your argument, Fusion (let's get shot down together...).

I feel that instrumental tuition is something that should be offered to everyone (although realise this is not feasible, particularly in the current climate) or no-one. Whilst I'm not denying some of the musical talent in Shetland and the role that tuition in schools has played in this, if a bairn has a particular talent in art, sport or whatever, they don't get offered extra tuition to nurture that talent.

I think at least the current system is a bit fairer than the previous one in that if you can afford to make a contribution to the cost, then you do.

I agree with you Russabell, it should either be all or none. Why should our taxes pay for it, surely if they are talented or want to do it the parents can pay. People in Shetland did not get music tuition given to them years ago, they learned themselves or from others, they should do that if the parents dont want to pay or would rather spend their cash on other things.

Fusion and Russabell - I actually do agree with you that there should be a contribution made. (There are many other areas where I think we should also be giving a small contribution, but don't get me started on that)

We are now in the situation that due to the current financial climate SIC are thinking about pulling the plug on instrumental instruction in a number of areas if not the entire service. Surely paying a contribution is far better for our children than not having the option of instrumental tuition at all?

Even with the contribution, SIC is still providing a relatively cheap service to those who do opt to learn an instrument. I did a bit of digging and checked to see what some of the other councils are charging per year:

Aberdeen City Council - £340 for individual lessons / £275 for group lessons

Aberdeenshire Council - £268 for individual lessons / £180 for group lessons

Highland Council - £228

Moray Council - £258 for individual / £171 for group lessons

SIC - £140 per year

If parents are contributing, they are helping the council to provide this much needed service. To avoid it being an elitist option - those who can't afford to pay it, simply don't pay it - it's means tested as it is across the country.

However, even with this current contribution, SIC seem adamant that they need to cut the service and the children are going to lose out.

To get their own way (getting rid of the service or cutting it right back) the current council are putting it up against school closures in their "high level" savings list. I am hoping that the new council rip up this list and look to make efficiencies elsewhere or in another way within this service.

Anyway, back to my original question about whether or not SIC should continue to provide instrumental instruction in a variety of instruments, i.e. not just fiddle and piano which has been mooted. I am pleased to see that there are some people who do value the service and the knock-on effect that it has on the Shetland community as a whole with the many festivals etc.

Maybe the way ahead as Trowie246 has said could be for SIC to pass the provision onto the Charitable Trust / Arts Trust etc to manage and/or help fund. We've already lost the violin instruction as was provided by Alan Gifford before he retired and there looks like there is no way that it will be reinstated. Pupils are already losing out because of this and it's probably only going to get worse.

Well in the danger of getting my heed bitten aff i think all children should get music as a subject at school, just like sport, drama and other subjects, but if you want extra above that then you should pay for it like anyother hobby, why should others pay for the selected few, most of which will drop it as soon as the either leace school or hit adulthood, you want it you pay for it!

I think Shetland is past the days of freebees now.

Well up until now, thats how it was. Every bairn got the chance, now its only a select few who can afford it.

Imagine if they did that with football, or swimming?

Just like with sports, a great many always have, and always will, have extra paid-for tuition over and above that provided for all.

If the Council only wanted the parents to pay £140 a year that is £11.66 a month, £2.69 a week, are people really saying that parents in Shetland who want their children to do music tution cannot or are not willing to pay this! I think they would be getting off lucky with such a low charge. Its far less than a pack of fags a pint or fish supper!

^^ In the South Mainland pupils can get extra badminton, table tennis and squash coaching for free outside of school hours. No contribution from SIC required either.

by paid staff? i doubt it!

Yes, free and the sports coach is not paid a penny for doing it.

There are also many football coaches,badminton coaches and coaches of other sports throughout Shetland who give up their time voluntarily without pay to give pupils extra coaching outside school hours.