1. 1. Would you prefer the proposed new power station to be:

• Fuelled by gas from Sullom Voe?
    • Run on light fuel oil?
    • Neither

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuclear would be my preferred option then you can kill 2 birds with one stone ie. no need for windfarms!

Was that tongue in cheek?.....A nuclear station would cost in the hundreds of millions, maybe a billion....Who knows.

One thing's for sure, no power company or the UK govt. for that matter wil be spending that degree of money on Shetland with it's population of 22,000 people :)

• 2 weeks later...

The material from the exhibition on the new Lerwick power station is here.

http://www.sse.com/Lerwick/ProjectInformation/

(I asked a couple of the local SSE guys who were there why they were proposing a gas pipeline to Lerwick rather than a new power station at Sullom Voe. Their reply was that because the existing distribution gear was in Lerwick it was a lot simpler. Also as Lerwick is reasonably central it was easier to find alternative routes for rerouting the supply when there were network porblems.

Hello there fellas(and laddies) long time no see. replied to this topic to clear up a couple of things .

As someone already says gas flared at sullom voe is there as a pilot light, unless youre in africa or some dodgy corrupt place (no pun intended) flares are a safety system to get rid of gas in a hurry not to get rid of unwanted gas.

the svt power station has 4 (originally 5 ) 25 megawatt gas turbines which run on gas recovered from oil and west of shetland gas and diesel as a back up. in practice 2 of these run at a time but one would handle the site load since the terminal of today doesnt typicaly have more than 3/4 heavy power usesing machines running at once

There is however enough gas at the existing sullom bp plant to run 3 turbines (all 4 cant be run at once) with enough generating capacity to power the whole of shetland aswell as the terminal but the power lines are not able to handle all of this at once and would require significant upgrade.

sounds simple doesnt it?

Well thats where youd be wrong, even the simplest jobs in the real world are rediculously complex in the oil industry. The first sign of trouble and the terminal cuts of the domestic grid to save its own plant. more so however was the decision by bp to contract out the running of the power station to a 3rd party fortuum some years back and i dont have enough all year to bother explaining the politics involved here in summing up games a bogie on that front.

Total might be different but i dont think they will be. laying pipelines is expensive and not worth the investment for an island power station which will be a small user in the grand scale of thigs.

Any potential new powerstation will likely be at sullom voe or there abouts. with the infratructure upgraded accordingly. i wouldnt even bother thinking of domestic gas mains on the isles. costs too much, not enough profit and the gas , untreated is full of hydrogen sulphide at levels far too dangerous for domestic use.

Hope you all enjoyed youre lesson in oil and gas tonight as much as i'm enjoying the idea of the reels turning in the head of a certain bearded man as he trys to figure out m,y real identity.

Cheerio

According to the SSE people I spoke to as far as they were concerned the upgrading of the power supply at Sullom Voe would be far more expensive than putting in a pipeline. Have a look at all the switchgear at the present power station to see what would be needed.

Also a pipeline is only a possibility. They are considering using light fuel oil as well.

maybe in the short term yes but longer term gas is much cheaper than oil and nothing like the transport costs. a new powerstation somewhere near graven and mossbank only needs a short pipeline as opposed to a 30 miler to lerwick.

Simple in your thoughts but quite a costly thing to achieve. The pipe line may be the more cost effective method. Electricity is reasonably flexible, cables and infrastructure not as flexible.

To accommodate the new location would need the replication of the existing network, cable sizes would have to be addressed, fault currents would change, a whole new distribution hub.

You could also bet that the more o/h cables would not look too good, and prone to more down time, unless of course you bury all the cables, that would also be at huge costs, on top of the cost of having a duplicate network.

That is the most supercilious, ill-informed, and ignorant piece of overt nonsense I have read for a while.

According to the SSE people I spoke to as far as they were concerned the upgrading of the power supply at Sullom Voe would be far more expensive than putting in a pipeline. Have a look at all the switchgear at the present power station to see what would be needed.

As I had said, the cost of moving the hub of the network could go against not building a pipe.

Amno, short or long term, it will be about raising the capitol funds to install a duplicate system. After all, it is a PLC and would need to have approval of the share holders for such a spend. Keep in mind you buy shares to generate an income.