A sad tale of Shetland

voicebox

Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

@ghostrider

In that case it's R.I.P. Shetland. :(

Why not go the whole hog and just say RIP UK or RIP Europe or RIP World? Get real, cuts are happening all over the world.

None of us possess a decent crystal ball and have 100% scrying techniques. You simply don't know that more cuts are on the card. All communities throughout the UK go through changes and evolve, and yes, sometimes communities die out and then revive and some don't revive.

No one likes cuts so people have to adapt to the best that they can. Incidentally, I noticed that you didn't answer the queries I raised - so are you saying that the proposed ferry cuts include commuter ferries also?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Theory is good, reality is that you're proposing a Herculean task, rivalries between Shetland communities and by extension isles, are so deeply entrenched and long-standing that little short of a sustained barrage of dynamite will shift it.

In times of adversity, folk might be more inclined to put perceived differences aside. Also, the "rivalries" you suggest between communities are perhaps not as strong between separate Isles; in the 80s in the North Isles there was a community enterprise company buying boatloads of bulk animal feed, fertiliser, firewood etc and marketing isles lambs. Also a community magazine, "The Bluemull Triangle"

It can happen that folk will pull together occasionally certainly, but even then only for a relatively short time. How long did N.I.C.E. last, I've not heard of it for at least more than a decade? Agreement and working to a common purpose seems only capable of existing in flash in the pan occasional random situations at best, and even then they've usually been instigated as reactive measures rather than pre-emptive initiatives. Folk in general tend to need to be feeling the squeeze before they truly believe the doom will descend, then they start panicing. That in itself IMHO forms part of the reason why such things tend to fail, they're initiated all too often for the wrong reasons - a hurried (and consequently not always the best planned of affairs) attempt to fill a hole that has just opened under them, rather than a desire to capitalise on a possible business opportunity.

I'd be the first to be delighted to be proven wrong on this, but a very long list of failed for one reason or another community businesses and projects Shetland-wide stretching back beyond living memory is too much to ignore. Community owned local shops seem to be bucking the trend, and hopefully they may be a sign that attitudes are changing, but its far too early in their history to rely on that to be the case yet though I think.

Why not go the whole hog and just say RIP UK or RIP Europe or RIP World? Get real, cuts are happening all over the world.

None of us possess a decent crystal ball and have 100% scrying techniques. You simply don't know that more cuts are on the card. All communities throughout the UK go through changes and evolve, and yes, sometimes communities die out and then revive and some don't revive.

No one likes cuts so people have to adapt to the best that they can. Incidentally, I noticed that you didn't answer the queries I raised - so are you saying that the proposed ferry cuts include commuter ferries also?

Hello unlinkedstudent,

Yes, cuts are happening all over the world, Peak Oil is an unsurmountable problem but at the moment I live on the Shetland Islands. I don't want Shetland to die out, it would be nice to at least stick together and see what we can accomplish and if we go out, we go out with a bang not a whimper... Surely, there's more we can achieve together than not together? As crofter said, there used be a community effort on the North Isles to do with agricultural feed and supplies, what happened?

I'm not answering your question about the ferries because my story was fiction and I said as much earlier about not knowing exactely what cuts were coming.

@ghostrider

In that case it's R.I.P. Shetland. :(

Not sure I follow your point here, your OP reads as an attempt to "rally the troops", yet when some of the realities of doing so are raised you suggest throwing the towel in before you start?

Either something is worth fighting for, or it isn't, no? Or is it a case that as long as everyone involved toe the line like sheep its all good, but if it involves continually selling the idea to folk and acting as peacemaker by finding compromises that keeps as many on board the idea as possible, its not worth the hassles. IOW a "fair weather" attitude?

Hello unlinkedstudent,

... I'm not answering your question about the ferries because my story was fiction and I said as much earlier about not knowing exactely what cuts were coming.

Then how and why on earth do you expect (Or perhaps you don't?) constructive debate and ideas re pulling together/isles surviving, etc., if your story was just fictional?

If all the commuter ferries are going then yes, people might lose their jobs (Unless they stay overnight on Shetland/wherever they work). If they aren't going, then why scaremonger?

Not sure I follow your point here, your OP reads as an attempt to "rally the troops", yet when some of the realities of doing so are raised you suggest throwing the towel in before you start?

Either something is worth fighting for, or it isn't, no? Or is it a case that as long as everyone involved toe the line line sheep its all good, but if it involves continually selling the idea to folk and acting as peacemaker by finding compromises that keeps as many on board the idea as possible, its not worth the hassles. IOW a "fair weather" attitude?

Not at all, I'm not throwing the towel in, I just want to see where folk are, do they really care etc...you came back at me which is good. It will be R.I.P. Shetland if we don't work together but I've only just started with this first post.

I have some ideas but need more info first. There are 90 days for this poll, I'm hoping more will vote, let's see what happens in the next few days etc. Let's get talking, pass this post around, send the link to others, it's a start...

:wink:

Guest Lone Wolf

Voicebox. You are asking the wrong people by using Shetlink as a method of airing views or 'rallying the troops'.

Unfortunately the site has become limited to very few posters and most seem intent on arguing any point another person makes, pointing out small discrepancies in their wording or criticising their stance. I'm sure we've all read comments that are just blatantly rude. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just a handful of people with more than one log in name. There remain some posters that can either agree or disagree with a viewpoint without attempting to make you feel inferior, but certainly not enough to encourage me to regularly engage with the site.

If you look at the history of posting threads on here in the last few months there has been a significant reduction in the numbers of different posters, so clearly many people have felt the forum was no longer of benefit to them. Let's hope the site does not die a slow death as the classifieds are very useful.

No doubt this post will get the wolves biting, but as the Lone Wolf it will just emphasise the validity of what I'm saying.

Hello unlinkedstudent,

... I'm not answering your question about the ferries because my story was fiction and I said as much earlier about not knowing exactely what cuts were coming.

Then how and why on earth do you expect (Or perhaps you don't?) constructive debate and ideas re pulling together/isles surviving, etc., if your story was just fictional?

If all the commuter ferries are going then yes, people might lose their jobs (Unless they stay overnight on Shetland/wherever they work). If they aren't going, then why scaremonger?

@unlinkedstudent

We have some challenges ahead that are better faced united than not. The story was get the imagination going not to scaremonger, it was to show that we have, in reality, serious problems that need to be thought about and eventually debated and the outcome should be spoken with one united voice.

Please, for starters, let's try and see who is interested in this notion, pass on the link, encourage others to vote, encourage others to voice their opinions.

By the way, don't get me wrong ...

... what got me yonks ago was that GB was in a recession when the Torys were in power. Next day, Labour got into power and suddenly a miracle occurred - GB was no longer in a recession. It was barely reported after the election about the economy/recession, etc.

It was a load of tosh. It was people's attitudes. If you think doom and gloom, you'll get doom and gloom. Granted, we paying for Labour's stance now. :wink:

The Shetland Isles are doing an awful lot better than many other rural areas in the UK, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not. Even with the proposed cuts, our standard of living will probably be higher than that of many others, even taking into consideration fuel poverty.

Voicebox. You are asking the wrong people by using Shetlink as a method of airing views or 'rallying the troops'.

Unfortunately the site has become limited to very few posters and most seem intent on arguing any point another person makes, pointing out small discrepancies in their wording or criticising their stance. I'm sure we've all read comments that are just blatantly rude. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just a handful of people with more than one log in name. There remain some posters that can either agree or disagree with a viewpoint without attempting to make you feel inferior, but certainly not enough to encourage me to regularly engage with the site.

If you look at the history of posting threads on here in the last few months there has been a significant reduction in the numbers of different posters, so clearly many people have felt the forum was no longer of benefit to them. Let's hope the site does not die a slow death as the classifieds are very useful.

No doubt this post will get the wolves biting, but as the Lone Wolf it will just emphasise the validity of what I'm saying.

This is true. Thankyou. It's a start but not an end. There is nowhere else central to take this, I've posted on Facebook and I hope to do other things.

It's worth a try. Thanks for your input lonewolf.

Absolutely correct!!! :lik:

Either something is worth fighting for, or it isn't, no? Or is it a case that as long as everyone involved toe the line line sheep its all good, but if it involves continually selling the idea to folk and acting as peacemaker by finding compromises that keeps as many on board the idea as possible, its not worth the hassles. IOW a "fair weather" attitude?

Not at all, I'm not throwing the towel in, I just want to see where folk are, do they really care etc...you came back at me which is good. It will be R.I.P. Shetland if we don't work together but I've only just started with this first post.

I have some ideas but need more info first. There are 90 days for this poll, I'm hoping more will vote, let's see what happens in the next few days etc. Let's get talking, pass this post around, send the link to others, it's a start...

:wink:

Maybe it is an 'age' thing with me? Recently I was assured that somthing did not exist as it was not on Google!

Now we have someone that thinks that their 'community' is Social Media?

No-one on here is real and even those that do have a physical representative could not give a damn if the North Isles floated off to the Artic Circle.

'Community' is NOT Shetlink or Facebook.

You need to get off your ass and knock on doors. Arrange community gatherings with real people.

Maybe it is an 'age' thing with me? Recently I was assured that somthing did not exist as it was not on Google!

Now we have someone that thinks that their 'community' is Social Media?

No-one on here is real and even those that do have a physical representative could not give a damn if the North Isles floated off to the Artic Circle.

'Community' is NOT Shetlink or Facebook.

You need to get off your ass and knock on doors. Arrange community gatherings with real people.

Hello Hairyian

Community is lots of things and fortunately or unfortunately social media is here and you are using it yourself. Facebook isn't my greatest love but it must be an inexpensive and useful way for some folk living on Shetland to keep in touch with relatives and friends.

I do understand that Shetlink is not liked but it was the only 'central' stepping stone to START with.

I do intend to get off my donkey and that will start in my own community on Fetlar (Especially as I don't own a car)

We'll see what happens.

Why did the community enterprise stop?

Not too sure, although some initiatives such as the Telecroft in Unst continue.

How long did N.I.C.E. last, I've not heard of it for at least more than a decade?

I was surprised to discover that it "lasted" until last year, but as stated in the notice, no accounts filed since 2000.

Publication Date: Friday, 23 September 2011

Notice Code: 2802

Industrial and Provident Societies

NORTH ISLES COMMUNITY ENTERPRISES LIMITED

(Register No. 2238 RS) the registered office of which is at Unit 1 Baltasound Hotel, Baltasound, Unst, Tresta SHETLAND ZE2 9DS. The grounds of the cancellation are that the society has wilfully violated sectio n 39 of the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965 by not submitting to the Financial Services Authority any annual returns acceptable for filing since that submitted for the society’s financial year ending 30 September 2000.

However, there are other groups in the isles, The Unst Partnership, The North Yell Development Council, Initiative at the edge (Now Bluemull Development Company), Fetlar Developments etc - these groups are more focused on individual communities and maybe that is sensible?

The Islands of Unst, Yell and Fetlar all suffer from falling populations and are economically at the edge. Each has unique characteristics and infrastructure, as well as problems, not always shared by their neighbours.

Initiative at the Edge North Isles is determined progress can be made by Fetlar, Unst and Yell working collectively on common development issues.

Why did the community enterprise stop?

Not too sure, although some initiatives such as the Telecroft in Unst continue.

How long did N.I.C.E. last, I've not heard of it for at least more than a decade?

I was surprised to discover that it "lasted" until last year, but as stated in the notice, no accounts filed since 2000.

Publication Date: Friday, 23 September 2011

Notice Code: 2802

Industrial and Provident Societies

NORTH ISLES COMMUNITY ENTERPRISES LIMITED

(Register No. 2238 RS) the registered office of which is at Unit 1 Baltasound Hotel, Baltasound, Unst, Tresta SHETLAND ZE2 9DS. The grounds of the cancellation are that the society has wilfully violated sectio n 39 of the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965 by not submitting to the Financial Services Authority any annual returns acceptable for filing since that submitted for the society’s financial year ending 30 September 2000.

However, there are other groups in the isles, The Unst Partnership, The North Yell Development Council, Initiative at the edge (Now Bluemull Development Company), Fetlar Developments etc - these groups are more focused on individual communities and maybe that is sensible?

The Islands of Unst, Yell and Fetlar all suffer from falling populations and are economically at the edge. Each has unique characteristics and infrastructure, as well as problems, not always shared by their neighbours.

Initiative at the Edge North Isles is determined progress can be made by Fetlar, Unst and Yell working collectively on common development issues.

Hi crofter

Thanks for the info

Is the Initiative at the Edge North Isles still running? And can it be used to discuss the serious coming problems for the the three islands?

There seems to be a proliferation of differentt groups (quangos)within each island, who has the authoratative voice om each island, the parish/community council?

Once again, thanks for your help crofter, have a great day!