A sad tale of Shetland

voicebox

Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Why did the community enterprise stop?

Not too sure, although some initiatives such as the Telecroft in Unst continue.

How long did N.I.C.E. last, I've not heard of it for at least more than a decade?

I was surprised to discover that it "lasted" until last year, but as stated in the notice, no accounts filed since 2000.

Publication Date: Friday, 23 September 2011

Notice Code: 2802

Industrial and Provident Societies

NORTH ISLES COMMUNITY ENTERPRISES LIMITED

(Register No. 2238 RS) the registered office of which is at Unit 1 Baltasound Hotel, Baltasound, Unst, Tresta SHETLAND ZE2 9DS. The grounds of the cancellation are that the society has wilfully violated sectio n 39 of the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965 by not submitting to the Financial Services Authority any annual returns acceptable for filing since that submitted for the society’s financial year ending 30 September 2000.

However, there are other groups in the isles, The Unst Partnership, The North Yell Development Council, Initiative at the edge (Now Bluemull Development Company), Fetlar Developments etc - these groups are more focused on individual communities and maybe that is sensible?

The Islands of Unst, Yell and Fetlar all suffer from falling populations and are economically at the edge. Each has unique characteristics and infrastructure, as well as problems, not always shared by their neighbours.

Initiative at the Edge North Isles is determined progress can be made by Fetlar, Unst and Yell working collectively on common development issues.

Hi crofter

Thanks for the info

Is the Initiative at the Edge North Isles still running? And can it be used to discuss the serious coming problems for the the three islands?

There seems to be a proliferation of differentt groups (quangos)within each island, who has the authoratative voice om each island, the parish/community council?

Once again, thanks for your help crofter, have a great day!

You will find details of your Community Council here:-

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/communitycouncilMembers.asp?id=13&bodytitle=Fetlar+Community+Council

I know several of the members, as I am sure you will, and I am sure they will be pleased to have a chat about your plans.

That would be a good place to start with whatever Campaign you wish to start.

Likewise, if you want to involve other Communities I would enquire of the Community Council for that area.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not see why it is just the outer islands of Shetland that need to pull together, the council is threatening to undermine multiple rural communities with school closures.

Should the whole of Shetland not stand together against the powers that be that are determined to destroy Shetland, instead of facing up to reality. The reserves are already too far depleted, say good bye and put them to good use by looking at infrastructure for the future, ie bridges to the islands and centralising/streamlining Shetlands biggest expenditure social care!

If anyone has any ideas on how to save money within the education department beside shut school why not come up with some creative solutions- and visit- safe our rural shetland schools on facebook :)

@Ebob

This is true, the whole of the Shetland Islands should all be working together - but Fetlar, Unst and Yell are divided. With so few people on these islands it is a crying shame that they don't work together. I can't talk about the Outer Skerries etc as I'm not sure of their situation in detail but I know for certain about Fetlar, Unst and Yell are not of one mind.

I've had some good input from folk so far.

Before we talk as the whole of Shetland we need, in the Northern Isles a representative of the Northern Isles to speak for the Northern Isles when dealing with SIC on these latest issues such as energy, school closures, ferries etc. I'm putting it to all the councils in the Northern Isles to start a group that involves all three islands to come together and discuss the recent issues that will affect those living in the Northern Isles.

It can either be one counciller from each island that gets together and speaks for his/her island or a counciller representing each part of their island to come together as a group, so for example, in the case of Yell, it is split into four, so either four or one will represent Yell.

It's a start. Will it happen? No idea! We'll see...

@Ebob

This is true, the whole of the Shetland Islands should all be working together - but Fetlar, Unst and Yell are divided. With so few people on these islands it is a crying shame that they don't work together. I can't talk about the Outer Skerries etc as I'm not sure of their situation in detail but I know for certain about Fetlar, Unst and Yell are not of one mind.

I've had some good input from folk so far.

Before we talk as the whole of Shetland we need, in the Northern Isles a representative of the Northern Isles to speak for the Northern Isles when dealing with SIC on these latest issues such as energy, school closures, ferries etc. I'm putting it to all the councils in the Northern Isles to start a group that involves all three islands to come together and discuss the recent issues that will affect those living in the Northern Isles.

It can either be one counciller from each island that gets together and speaks for his/her island or a counciller representing each part of their island to come together as a group, so for example, in the case of Yell, it is split into four, so either four or one will represent Yell.

It's a start. Will it happen? No idea! We'll see...

Hate to be pedantic and hell yeah, I'm an incomer like you ... but I thought Unst/Yell were the North Isles, and likewise the Northern Isles referred to all of the Shetland Isles and those making up Orkney?

Ebob talks about reality - perhaps the reality is that the SIC should never have encouraged a population growth beyond what it could afford to sustain in the long run, and that the SIC/the public, etc. cannot afford for all of the outer isles to be inhabited? EU grants anyone?

... but I thought Unst/Yell were the North Isles, and likewise the Northern Isles referred to all of the Shetland Isles and those making up Orkney?

Yes, precisely so.

Even with that clarification, I found the whole post to be somewhat havering. For instance: "I'm putting it to all the councils in the Northern Isles" ... ?? Presumably not the SIC and OIC, but should that be councillors, or community councils? It isn't at all clear what voicebox is saying. If they hope to achieve anything then I suggest some attention to clarity of statement. As for the plea for unity itself, I personally found its effect to be divisive, being as I am a toonie. One person's unity is another's division I suppose.

Following this topic with interest. Enjoying the diversity of views.

Personally I'm always wary of yet more fora, discussion groups and quangos. Do we not already have adequate representation?

For example there are 22 elected members on SIC. Three of these are from the North Isles ward. That is a good representation per head of the population. Then each island has a Community Council where those representatives are residents of their respective islands.

In both cases the members of the respective groups are both approachable and open to listening to their electorates. Have they been made aware of your concerns?

Energy, ferries and school provision are, as the three examples given, all of great importance to island communities. It is my understanding that the ferry plans (so far) propose negligible change. Energy is a Shetland wide concern and it is hard to see that Yell, Unst and Fetlar would have unique issues with regard to this. And school closures are uniquely issues for the communities concerned as these relate to population changes, distance from the next nearest school and the availability of link buses.

It seems to me that working with the existing recognised structures is the way forward and only if these fail to meet community needs should we consider new structures.

@Ebob

What examples do you have to suggest that the North Isles are 'divided' just now? As far as I can see, those who speak publicly about issues such as school closures or cuts to ferries (including all three of the north isles councillors and community councils) are very much coming from the same page across all of the North Isles.

On the wider issue of sustaining rural areas, my own view is that unlimited sums can be thrown at them to provide jobs, decent local services, frequent and affordable transport links and housing (which of course are all important) but they will probably never be able to provide the kind of career opportunities or social/lifestyle attractions that in my experience are the things that typically lure folk - and young folk in particular - away nowadays. Rural areas in Shetland have fared pretty well compared to most elsewhere in terms of investment in infrastructure, services and jobs over the last 30 or so years yet some are still struggling to retain their populations.

What examples do you have to suggest that the North Isles are 'divided' just now? As far as I can see, those who speak publicly about issues such as school closures or cuts to ferries (including all three of the north isles councillors and community councils) are very much coming from the same page across all of the North Isles. End Quote

@Shetlander

By Yell having 4 separate councils for a start! I don't know it's current population total but if I were to say about 1000 - that's 4 councils for a thousand people!! then that's an example of even ONE North Isle being divided!!

Let alone Unst. And two on Fetlar!

By Yell having 4 separate councils for a start! I don't know it's current population total but if I were to say about 1000 - that's 4 councils for a thousand people!! then that's an example of even ONE North Isle being divided!!

Can you explain what you mean here please? What 4 councils? There's only one Shetland Islands Council. I'm not sure of the split of Community Councils, I know Whalsay and Skerries share one, but 4 in Yell? If that's the case I'll be absolutely gobsmacked!

What other Councils are there?

Which "councils" are you talking about? There is one community council on Yell, one on Unst, and I don't know about Fetlar, but find it hard to believe there are two?

Yell has three parts to the council - why is it not only one? North South and MiD Wards...

Fetlar has a a community council AND a development company for 70 people!

I'm asking these questions as to how unified we are, we have serious problems ahead and should be working together. Much of this is fact finding too, and folk have been helpful.

:)

Yell has three parts to the council - why is it not only one? North South and MiD Wards...

I'm asking these questions as to how unified we are, we have serious problems ahead and should be working together. Much of this is fact finding too, and folk have been helpful.

:)

I'm asking these questions as to how unified we are, we have serious problems ahead and should be working together. Much of this is fact finding too, and folk have been helpful. :)

Precisely what serious problems?

You've got coming, as another poster commented, negligible cuts to the ferry. I'm sure some on here can probably remember the days when there was no ferry run by the Council - what happened then and what will happen in the future if all your ferries go? You'll end up (or not, if you think doom and gloom which is what you appear to be projecting, whether intentional or not) of a private individual wanting to make a bob or two by using their own boat and providing a service. Perish the thought, you might even get a direct crossing to Lerwick. :oops:

Isn't it the case that Fetlar has some of the best arable land in these parts?

Re the number of council wards/councillors - aren't they set by the Scottish Parliament and not by the SIC?

Just googled the Yell Community Council to find out that it has nine members from 3 wards. I fail to see the problem with that. There is still only one Community Council and splitting it into 3 wards ensures an equal spread of representation which surely encourages unity within Yell rather than the possibility off all members being from the same area.

The SIC has 22 members from 7 wards. How would it look if it was a single ward and all the members came from lerwick?

I'm not all that familiar with the development company, but surely they are different organisations set up for different purposes. Are you suggesting that they are not working together, or worse, working against each other?