Hitching

Styles

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving down to St Andrews the other week and was surprised at the half dozen or so hitchhikers I saw thumbs out. Unfortunately my car was packed, and some had the dejected hitchhiker look that no doubt comes when you've been trying a while.

It's interesting the most security rick seems to exist solely in the movies. I was peeved when one chap I picked up in Ireland pinched a camera from the back seat but otherwise I've enjoyed the company.

It seems like a very sensible way to cut down on fuel emissions and get some people moving about on the cheap. Long may hitchhiking thrive :D

I used to hitch all the time - Shetland, the mainland and in Europe. I swore I'd never drive past a hitchhiker.

Ashamed to admit, as a single female, I'm a bit nervous of picking people up even though I do a lot of long drives when working.. Maybe I should just get some backbone! Had a good excuse when the kids were young - and most hitchhikers would have run a mile rather than get in my car at that time - but that excuse doesn't hold now

It's a matter of trust on both sides. As a hitcher you could get picked up by a complete nutter, conversely you could be an axe murdering Daniel O'Donnell fan with bad breath, and the driver finds out too late as you whip out old chopper whilst humming Spanish Eyes, then breath all over them.

Seriously though. I have hitched thousands of miles in Europe and North America, and the only real problems I ever encountered were 2 drunk drivers, and one postie who hadn't slept for 2 days due to a surplus of speed and coke in his system. He drove me through the desert to Las Vegas (like something straight out of Fear and Loathing, which I unfortunately read only after the event. I won't even go into what happen IN Las Vegas....

Biggest risk was four or five occasions when people drove straight at me forcing me to jump to the side. I suspect the motivation was fear. "There's a hitcher, I bet they are up to no good" kind of thing.

Personally, given how safe Shetland is, I would pick up hitchers anytime. But that said if I was hitching I would understand why women wouldn't stop.

• 2 months later...

:D I would be too scared unless it was from a woman... I guess... I will try the crash helmet one though. I shall remind myself when I get up there and I want to go a walk to take my crash helmet and put my leathers on ... (just hope it aint in the summer) lol... :roll:

If I still had the bike it would be better if I was the one picking up the hitcher... I dont think that they would hitch again after being on the back of the bike at 150mph (should there ever be a road long enough in shetland to gain that speed) LOL... I doubt they would ask me again... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: