How to deal with Neddish behaviour?

Q

What are the thoughts on here about this?

Over-reaction?

I take my wee kids along the street on many a Saturday and we've never been intimidated; never in the slightest. Yes there are lots of youths just hanging around but there's never been any trouble.

Maybe your friend is unlucky but I find it incredible that over the course of two months we can have such completely different experiences of the same place.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the thoughts on here about this?

Over-reaction?

I take my wee kids along the street on many a Saturday and we've never been intimidated; never in the slightest. Yes there are lots of youths just hanging around but there's never been any trouble.

Maybe your friend is unlucky but I find it incredible that over the course of two months we can have such completely different experiences of the same place.

Fjool, I don't think it is an over reaction.

Yes, chances are on a Saturday afternoon, there's not going to be much trouble. It's not violent but at the same time you have to appreciate that groups of youths hanging about in/outside shops can be intimidating for old people.

I think it's a change in the way youth are these days. Back in the day, I would never have behaved in such a loud manner at the street and always had respect for people around me. Nowadays, those kids think they own the place - that's the difference. There isn't much trouble - but you can't blame older people thinking that it might kick off as they generally use it as a playground. It's harmless yes, I agree, however I wouldn't say their behaviour is ideal. Also, I think that birthday buses are also to blame when you have ridiculously dressed drunken folk in the mid afternoon - hey, I think it's funny but some people don't and worry about them getting carried away.

The incident I was talking about IS a concern and I've never heard of the like before. It's quite clearly down to the anti-social phenomenon of 'ned culture'. I absolutely hate this. I used to think 'at least we don't have them in Shetland'. Now we do - and it's becoming less and less isolated in the town. Certainly having been here for the past couple years, I've seen a vast increase in these troublemakers and it's a little worrying when someone is lynched in that area of town, it's hardly secluded.

I honestly think that when I was a kid in the 80s, Shetland has become alot more dangerous and am certainly more wary than I have ever been. I'm not saying it's crime capital but there are some worrying trends here - increased drug use, increased alcohol abuse and an increase in anti-social behaviour. I think it's a little too easy to say "oh, it's an over reaction" because it will no doubt escalate if the problems are not addressed.

I don't think this is a problem unique to Shetland, but all small/remote communities in Scotland in general.

The simple truth is that, rightly or wrongly, some people do feel intimidated by the gatherings of young people on the Street at various times but mainly on Saturday afternoons. That this continues means that people, including me, feel that we are let down by our police force and the supposed "community wardens"........I have yet to see one.

Cameras are not going to help. Sure they will help catch people who have commited an offence but I doubt they will do much to reassure ordinary shoppers. What would help is a large policeman, perhaps with a large dog, just to take the edge off any antisocial behaviour.

Ok I am willing to accept that the majority of the young people on the Street mean no harm although their interpretation of harm might differ from mine. Getting covered with some squirty stuff from a can for example. And of course the first snowballs may not be so far away. However what the public needs is assurance that they will not suffer harm when on the Street. Shopkeepers take note......if the public stay away from the Street the shops will suffer.

I have lived in Shetland for 10 years now.

I have YET to see a bobby on the beat. I have seen the odd police car but never, ever a policeman on Commercial Street.

I drove through Lerwick a few Saturdays ago (to catch ferry) and the amount of youths and their girls loafing around, looking intimidating and fairly scarey was extraordinary. The whole atmosphere in Lerwick was completely different on a Saturday that any other day of the week. It was not nice at all.

I have YET to see a bobby on the beat. I have seen the odd police car but never, ever a policeman on Commercial Street.

I drove through Lerwick a few Saturdays ago (to catch ferry) and the amount of youths and their girls loafing around, looking intimidating and fairly scarey was extraordinary. The whole atmosphere in Lerwick was completely different on a Saturday that any other day of the week. It was not nice at all.

They should be asked to move on then... but you get that everywhere, it is because Lerwick isnt really that big, I guess the kids have to have somewhere to go... and that becomes their meeting ground at night... as long as they arent pestering anyone then it shouldnt be a problem, its when they start with the attitude, that a severe slapping is required... The police SHOULD be making their presence felt though, and it is wrong if they are not doing so....

What about if they had SPECIAL POLICE, which is basically police volunteers which have police training and they help the police with things like that, dont think its paid work, but there again, if it annoys people that much then they wont be bothered whether they are getting paid for it then will they...

:twisted:

They should be asked to move on then... but you get that everywhere, it is because Lerwick isnt really that big, I guess the kids have to have somewhere to go... and that becomes their meeting ground at night... as long as they arent pestering anyone then it shouldnt be a problem, its when they start with the attitude, that a severe slapping is required... The police SHOULD be making their presence felt though, and it is wrong if they are not doing so....

What about if they had SPECIAL POLICE, which is basically police volunteers which have police training and they help the police with things like that, dont think its paid work, but there again, if it annoys people that much then they wont be bothered whether they are getting paid for it then will they...

I have nothing against kids hanging around the cross at night - to be honest, they're annoying nobody. If you're hanging around at that time and are offended by their behaviour, what are you doing there? shopping? No you're either drunk or insanely daft.

It's the blatant disregard for shoppers on a Saturday. It is like a kid's playground - kids/teens obviously drunk, the birthday bus carnival, kids chasing each other, throwing food and generally messing about. It's not harmful as such but it might be intimidating for the older generation. It is a shopping area and should be treated as one - except in Shetland, there is no security. The previous poster is correct, a couple of police, one at each end, walking back and forth for a few hours a day would suffice - just to put a stop to anything.

Anyway, this isn't really what it's about - it's about this guy getting beaten up by a gang. I'm just waiting to hear about the first time it happens to an elderly person, that's when I know it's gone too far. This is obviosuly blatant 'casuals' behaviour and it's not on, not for here anyway. There is no need for it, Shetland is not a deprived area like some part of Glasgow are. It's a disgrace.

I am pretty sure that there are "Specials" in Shetland already. Whether they are out and about any more than the regular Police I couldn't tell you.

Moving the kids on won't do any good. Shoving what you don't want to see out of sight helps nobody. Kids will be kids, I agree that their behaviour is intolerable but then I am sure that our Parents/Grandparents said the same thing. Difference is that they had a way to deal with it...

I have seen bobbies on the beat.......must take my camera so I can photograph this rare event.

I have seen bobbies on the beat.......must take my camera so I can photograph this rare event.

LMAO! :D

As much as I enjoy the jokes of the lack of policefolk on the street I have seen them a few times, on saturdays as well. You see I work in a shop overlooking the cross and many a time we just watch the goings on and there are policefolk as I've said walking past from time to time.