Man Climbing up Scalloway Castle and Standing on the Top

Lerwick antiques

Hello

I have an old real photo postcard of a man standing on top of Scalloway castle.

I was told that there is some story about this man who climbed up the walls of Scalloway castle and stood on the top.

I would love to find out any info about this.

If anyone can help or throw any light on this story then please tell me.

Hello

I have an old real photo postcard of a man standing on top of Scalloway castle.

I was told that there is some story about this man who climbed up the walls of Scalloway castle and stood on the top.

I would love to find out any info about this.

If anyone can help or throw any light on this story then please tell me.

Wis supposed ta be a Foula man climbed it - canna mind wha telt me dat.

I remember being in the Scalloway museum when I was a youngster and an old women told me it was "her father, he was from Foula and he wasn't scared of heights".

She was called Kitty, dont know the surname. She used to go around Scalloway with a walking stick she tapped on the ground. I wish I could remember her surname, she was always really good with us youngsters and always stopped to speak and often had a peerie sweetie for us.

Hope my memory is right on this one, it was a while back.

• 2 weeks later...

The man on the top of the Castle was my great-grandfather, Foula man Robbie Umphray (1866-1937). The photo was apparently by Scalloway shopkeeper Alex Inkster - we're not sure exactly when it was taken.

Robbie also appeared briefly in the film "The Edge of the World"... and was reputed to have regularly rowed from Foula to Scalloway to collect provisions!

The man on the top of the Castle was my great-grandfather, Foula man Robbie Umphray (1866-1937). The photo was apparently by Scalloway shopkeeper Alex Inkster - we're not sure exactly when it was taken.

Robbie also appeared briefly in the film "The Edge of the World"... and was reputed to have regularly rowed from Foula to Scalloway to collect provisions!

Wonderful post. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been intrigued by this story.

I remember the late Teenie Christie of Meadowfield Road Scalloway telling me when i was a boy in the 1970s that her father had climbed to the top of the castle. Apparently the Scalloway men found his tales of her father's climbing prowess a bit hard to swallow. So to prove his point he ended up climbing to the top of the castle. Her son, Bobby, still resides in Meadowfield Crescent and I am sure could clarify the details. Good luck. Peter