Wasps

One flew into our glassy porch about a month ago, it was quite large and may have been a queen. It received a very close inspection of the Shetland Times, at high speed, speed reading you might say. Anyway it took three 'glances' at the front page before the peerie sausage became inanimate.

There's not many things i'll 'introduce' to the paper, but i really dunna like wasps much.

So if anybody wants to hand out any rewards for the erradication of wasps this year it would seem that it's most probably all down to me. 8)

felt smug the other day when 2 were terrorising some pals at a barbecue. As a smoker I simply lit up and the wasp kept well away.

I suppose you could say that occasional attention of insects is preferable to a smoking related disease, but ah'll no be listening!

felt smug the other day when 2 were terrorising some pals at a barbecue. As a smoker I simply lit up and the wasp kept well away.

I suppose you could say that occasional attention of insects is preferable to a smoking related disease, but ah'll no be listening!

Works great to keep midgies at arms length too....Us smokers may well exit this mortal coil before our time, but at least we won't be eaten alive by assorted blood thirsty insects while we're waiting for that final curtain.

The Edinburgh Evening News front page a few days ago read wasps invation of capital with a picture of a huge mutha of a wasp 8O !!

Thank god I haven't come across any yet but the moths down here are getting bad yuk yuk yuk!! HELP!!!

I was pruning my plum tree today it has hundreds of wasps in it. They feed on the sticky excretions from aphids. I didn't get stung though. Wasps are actually a mixed blessing for us gardeners, they pollinate flowers and feed thier young on caterpillars and help to clean up the aphids excretions which can lead to fungal infections.

Once when I was a kid I was flying down a hill on my bike so fast that the handle bars were really shaking and I was almost out of control and I looked down and there was a wasp on my bare thigh. Terrible feeling not being able to do anything about it and just bracing myself for being stung and then crashing my bike! Luckily neither happened. :wink: