On our way

Sparky

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry about it Sparky you will get somewhere to live I know it is scary when you think you have somewhere then you dont but if you are moving up to shetland you have to learn to be calm and relaxed and take your time over things!!

There is a 3 bedroomed house for rent on the Dowle Smith and Rutherford site in Dunrossness £450 a month! Get in touch with Hjaltland Housing Assoication and put your name on the council list aswell you will get somewhere!!

Chin up :D :D

:)

check out:

google map for a satellite eye view .. thats the papa stour ferry pier! and then have a scoot here at panphotos.co.uk:

http://www.panphotos.co.uk/shetland/west_main.asp?index=-1

to see it from land .... check out some of the other panphotos too for a feel of Shetland. ;)

They're taken by a guy called John Pedley - he has a very good eye and was an art teacher I believe? Please correct me anyone if I'm mistaken.

His wife was an Art teacher and he was first ever Computer teacher in Shetland.

And yes he has a very good collection of Shetland at its best IMO.

Buying is an option but We don't want to rush into anything until we're settled with work and can make an informed decision on where to live on a more permanent basis.

Finding somewhere to rent that is big enough for the 5 of us is proving to be somewhat difficult though! :roll:

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd update this as things have moved on considerably now :)

I've got a job lined up in Lerwick and start on 04/10. We've also now managed to find a 4-bedroom rental out in Bixter. I know it's a bit out of the way but I went out there last time I was up and it's exactly what we're looking for.

The flights are booked for the wife and my two youngest nippers and me and the big lad are driving up to the ferry next Thursday. Removals firm are coming down on Wednesday to load up our worldly belongings and by next Friday we'll be in our new home :)

Funny how everything just seems to fall into place suddenly?

Yup,

Weisdale shop is mostly cheaper than the supermarkets, they have a post office too, and their fuel is as cheap as Lerwick. Whiteness butchers are one of the best in Shetland, mmm, very good bacon, and all that and the Bixter shop are on your daily route, spoilt for choice or what! :wink:

i take it your bairns will be going to da aith junior high. it's an excellent school. my son went there fae nursery up to secondary 4 and we got to know the school and teachers very well. there's also a leisure centre in aith if you are sporty and there are the youth clubs at aith hall and the whitedale football club for da bairns. hope you all settle ok and enjoy living in shetland.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we've been living here for over 2 weeks now and I can happily say that thoughts of the South are long gone. I can't imagine ever moving back there to be honest and it's not as if we had a bad life either.

We love Twatt, it's exactly what we wanted and we'll be sad when we have to move out in June. Hopefully we can find something else to rent locally so we can stay in the area and the kids can stay at Aith school (which is fantastic and they all love it by the way).

I'm enjoying my job, almost too much and the wife is very happy not having to work for a change (although I sometimes wonder which of our roles is the hardest!).

Shetland is a fantastic place and everyone we have met so far has been friendly and welcoming to us. It may have been a long slog to get up here but it was well worth the effort and cost.

Thanks to all on here too for the advice and supportive words over the past few months.

Now that you are here.....have you seen "The Wickerman" by any chance

mwa ha ha ha ha!

Just messin wit ya!

All the best. Turn the heating up, buy a good jacket and toorie and winter is a breeze! :wink: Remember, there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes. Oh yeah, waterproof breeks, 1 minute to put on, hours of endless smugness at those who didn't. :wink:

We love Twatt, it's exactly what we wanted and we'll be sad when we have to move out in June.

Always a good talking point. :lol: Just wait until your old mates phone you up. "Where are you living now?", to which you reply, "Twatt".

Glad to hear you are liking it, tell us in a few weeks though once the weather gets back to normal. ;)

All the best. Turn the heating up, buy a good jacket and toorie and winter is a breeze! :wink: Remember, there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes. Oh yeah, waterproof breeks, 1 minute to put on, hours of endless smugness at those who didn't. :wink:

Beat me to it!

yeah as my locations say.. west is best :D

glad to hear you have settled in well.. cant get much better than aith for a school.. not that you can really find a bad school up here.

you'll be glad yto hear you can now gat up to 8mbit connection in twatt ;)

and start praying for the snow.. then you have agreat excuse for not goign to works since bixter brae is always unpassable in bad snow ;)