Gaining employment in shetland.

moon

Hello I was just seeking a bit of advice about the chances of picking up employment in Shetland.I am considering travelling over to Lerwick early next year and staying for a few months or so .I am a male in my forties who has generally worked in construction and the like but I am very adaptable and can turn my hand to most things.I read some very conflicting stories about job prospects up there and hope that  maybe somebody could  give me a pointer.Thank you for any help in advance.

I've just had a look at the job adverts in Friday's Shetland Times and the jobs advertised are mostly in the fish, social care and catering. The big construction jobs at the moment are being done by south firms so I don't know if they are taking on people in Shetland.

The biggest problem you will find is accommodation. Rents have gone through the roof in recent years.

If you've got any construction and /or plant tickets, then you may be considered by the bigger local construction companies. There can be opportunities for employment in this field, but it can be hit or miss with the timing. It depends what their workload is like on bigger contracts like Sullom Voe or other projects. 

If you're thinking about vacancies working on the more general domestic building site with smaller outfits, then many of these are filled by word of mouth. Shetland is one of those places where getting your face known as a good and reliable worker will impress employers more than a CV will. 

I'd be of a mind to take what you can to get you started and then work from there. As MJ says, there's opportunities with local fish/seafood processors pop up fairly regular - but rented accom is BIG issue.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I too, am looking for employment. My husband and I and our 2 kids are looking to move to Shetland from Australia.

I am qualified in hospitality, but will take on any sort of employment.

My husband is qualified in engineering, but is a jack of all trades! He particularly enjoys hands on work and being outdoors.

If anyone knows of anything please let me know! A live-in caretaker job would be perfect, as we don't have any accommodation as yet.

Many thanks,

Emma :)

• 8 years later...
On 01/06/2015 at 02:55, moon said:

Hello I was just seeking a bit of advice about the chances of picking up employment in Shetland.I am considering travelling over to Lerwick early next year and staying for a few months or so .I am a male in my forties who has generally worked in construction and the like but I am very adaptable and can turn my hand to most things.I read some very conflicting stories about job prospects up there and hope that  maybe somebody could  give me a pointer.Thank you for any help in advance.

Hello! It's great that you're considering Shetland for employment. With your construction background and adaptability, you may find opportunities in various sectors.

15 hours ago, Jasmin88 said:

Hello! It's great that you're considering Shetland for employment. With your construction background and adaptability, you may find opportunities in various sectors.

Is he still looking for a job? After only eight years?

Edited by George.
missed word