Shetland has the highest suicide rate in the UK

Styles

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shortly aftre the suicide of Gary Manson his family set up a fund to raise mental health awareness.

During October they are holding a 5km Fun run. Entry is £5.00 (I think) As I am not built for speed I am going to pay £10.00 so that I don't have to run it.

Maybe a few more of you less able people could do the same and raise money for a worthwhile cause.

little hitchcock wrote

totally agree with you - it is dreadful to say that the high number of suicides is only a statistical anomaly. We get that answer each time the Shetland results are worse than the mianland

One reason for getting the same answer about statistics is that small populations can produce distorted results. My sister--who is into genealogical stuff--discovered that statistically Shetland is a hot spot for people with my surname.......just because the number cruncher shows Shetland as having one person of my name for every 22,000 or so people which is far higher a percentage than many cities.

That said a single attepted suicide in a year is one too many.

Shortly aftre the suicide of Gary Manson his family set up a fund to raise mental health awareness.

During October they are holding a 5km Fun run. Entry is £5.00 (I think) As I am not built for speed I am going to pay £10.00 so that I don't have to run it.

Maybe a few more of you less able people could do the same and raise money for a worthwhile cause.

See www.mindyourhead.org.uk for details.

Officer Dible,

what you get up to in your own time is your own business (unless you do it at the Scalloway Boating Club) but if you ARE a polis, as your posts suggest, you could mayhaps phrase things a touch less aggressively (a la "getting my teeth into a boyracer"). Unless the new dog handler's dug is uncommonly clever and has access to a computer!

(PS, does "Dibble" no have two "b"s in it?)

If you want to get stuck into boyracers, there's been more than enough posts from other forum users on the subject, asking for or demanding such action. I see them every day and every night from my window, screaming past the school, and the nursery at Sound. Rarely do I see a marked car, unless it is tucked behind a hedge further down the brae into town.

I normally support polis on this forum but on this one, my blood boils (but no at the polis, I might add).

Young boys + high wages/daddy's car + childish invulnerability of youth + speed = knock on the door for their parents some night with bad news from the boys and girls in blue.

Too many accidents for so small a place. And in my opinion accidental death caused by idiots at high speed in a fast car comes close to suicide!

Gie's peace! :roll:

And before any adroit eagle-eyed (or maybe cross-eyed on a Friday night) moderators point out, I am not inviting a debate on speed or road safety on this thread. There are plenty others where it would be better placed.

Just having a chat with the Officer.

Gie's peace. :wink:

The dark winters probably have a bearing on it, due to the prevalance of people affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder. As somebody who has the condition, it wasn't fun being clinically depressed 8 months of the year when I lived up there because there's so little natural light up there.

It's the same in places like Finland and Alaska, where suicide rates jump drastically during the perma-dark winters they have even further North.