Drumjamm Clinics (thread prev. named 'Thomas Lang')

Gandhi

I'd love to see Bruford play Shetland. He played at Drummerlive 2006, and did a set going through his various bands/experiments, it was awesome.

We're hoping to get Karl Brazil up at some point this year. He's James Blunt's drummer, and pretty much stole the show at drummerlive this year. He's played with a few other notables, and is truly incredible. He is also the spitting image of Mr McDill, I kid you not.

We've got Mike Dolbear coming up in March to do some masterclasses, and there will be more info on drumjamm.com and shetlanddrums.com in the next couple of weeks.

Keep coming with the clinic ideas. Last years three of Steve White, Billy Ward and Thomas Lang are gonna take some beating, but we'll give it a go. Beating was not meant to be a pun

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're hoping to get Karl Brazil up at some point this year..............He is also the spitting image of Mr McDill, I kid you not.

Way better name though, eh sags? :wink:

He's James Blunt's drummer

Poor chap. He must have done something really bad to merit that!

Sweet Mama i would love to see Travis appearing in the garrison. Lets see if the DrumJamm boys can come up with him.

Steve White would be great to see again as he is a very influential drummer with a good manner with the audience.

Thomas Lang was amazing! Once he finished i picked up my jaw, bought some of his FAT! sticks and got them signed. Very cool guy and very welcoming. You would expect someone of his experience that Shetland would be some joke but he was very cool and hope to see him up again.

As for Good old Billy Ward (i am a real american) he was pretty hilarious with his american manner and crazy ideas, definatly want to see him again with whatever ideas he has.

I have been buying a couple of DVD's lately from Shetland Drums and online and Billy Wards was very entertaining and educational. Chad Smiths, red hot rythms is also a very good dvd as long as your into the Chilli's as theres lots of playing with the songs but also very funny and educational. Thomas Langs new 7hour DVD is jus crazy i just laugh at how hard the stuff he's doing is but it's just so easy for him, love it and watchen the whole thing about 3 times!

Michael Jackson, I suppose he's looking for a change of direction. Does this mean slow is now singing Billy Jean and Thriller? Is Michael the 1/5th non shetland member of the band?

yeah he is from Hopeman near Elgin.

Not to be biased but he is awesome

heavy influences from Mike Portnoy, Danny Carry, Martin Axenrot and Buddy Rich to name but a few

Mr Lang cleaned up in the American awards "Modern Drummer" and Australias "Drumscene" magazine as well. His new DVD has generally got really good reviews, but some criticism over the image he portrays, and the fact that what he is demonstrating is beyond most normal drummers. The fact that he is one of the most technically superior drummers on the planet, and that this is his second DVD, you would expect the content to be challenging.

He had only good things to say about the Shetland Clinic on his website, and is keen to return to Shetland when he next tours the UK, most likely in 2008. There is a chance he may do some masterclass dates at the end of 2007, with Shetland a real possibility.

With such a hectic schedule, I was amazed he agreed to come to Shetland in the first place. He and Mike Dolbear even drove from london to Aberdeen overnight to make the clinic happen. Good on them, that's dedication for you

We've got Mike Dolbear coming up to Shetland to do some master classes, the dates are Friday 16th March and Saturday 17th March. There will be a class early Friday evening, with more info to follow, and lots of other classes for all abilities.

He's keen to meet as many Shetland drummers as possible, and discuss future clinic ideas. More information is available at Shetland Drums, or you can post here and get a bit of banter going.

Mike also has a great website www.mikedolbear.com and a really good drummers forum on that as well.

In reply to drummers many questions.

We hope to hold the adult master class at 5.30pm or 6pm on Friday 16th March. The class is limited to 15 people so it's first come first served. We're aware that the Brae Up Helly Aa is that night , hence the early start.

Mike's also doing a signing session from 4 till 5 the same day at Shetland Drums. He's available to give advice and answer questions on anything drummy.

We're hoping to make this a regular event, and Mike is keen to bring up more drummers to Shetland. his class will concentrate on Technique, Grooving and Chart Reading, although he says that it can easily go off on a tangent depending on the crowd.

Any other questions, just fire away

We're gonna go for a 5.30pm start for the adult masterclass, the location is hut 15 at the AHS, and you can book your place by going into Shetland Drums, still a few places left. Mike's also gonna reveal the next clinician to visit Shetland later this year, it's another cracker, cant wait!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

3 spaces left at the adult master class, and as I stated before it will be at hut 15, AHS at 5.30pm this Friday, should last for an hour to an hour and a half.

Mike is gonna look at :

Playing along to click tracks

Grooving and what makes it groove

Building a drum track

Why we speed up

What makes a good drum part

Tuning, or lack of it

Foot technique and how to build it

He's also keen to answer questions on any drumming matters, and talk about future drumming events in Shetland. He's a great teacher and player, and it should be great fun. Reserve your place at Shetland drums, or email me back.

Cheers

Hello again

3 spaces left at the adult master class, and as I stated before it will be at hut 15, AHS at 5.30pm this Friday, should last for an hour to an hour and a half.

Mike is gonna look at :

Playing along to click tracks

Grooving and what makes it groove

Building a drum track

Why we speed up

What makes a good drum part

Tuning, or lack of it

Foot technique and how to build it

He's also keen to answer questions on any drumming matters, and talk about future drumming events in Shetland. He's a great teacher and player, and it should be great fun. Reserve your place at Shetland drums, or email me back.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

The next clinic that Mike Dolbear is bringing to the Uk has just been confirmed. He's the New Orleans drummer Stanton Moore, who plays with the jazz funk band Galactic.

I was down in London on Thursday and managed to go to their gig at the Jazz Cafe, Camden. What a great night, very similar to the James Taylor Quartet, but with better tunes. He's an incredible drummer, very funky with a jazzy feel, and for drum lovers who have attended recent clinics, somewhere between Steve White and Billy Ward.

For the record he is currently Steve White's favourite drummer, and he was in attendence at the gig, as was a who's who of British drummers. It should be a great clinic, the first date of his first UK tour. He was voted best jazz drummer this year in Rythmn magazine, and the date for the show is probably going to be Saturday 29th September.

More info when I get it, should be an event not to miss