Opinions? Treated timber or bare Larch for fence post

adwishart

when considering which timber to use for main posts for a garden fence.

100x100x 2400mm post to be concreted into the ground....and will have to take full force of the wind due to exposed site. 

I've got one sawmill telling me good quality (heartwood) larch (non treated) is more durable than treated timber.

Another sawmill tells me they would never put bare larch in the ground, and only the usual treated timber available in most merchants. 

I know of an increasing amount of fences where the treated timber used is rotting in or around 10 years.  Modern treated timber is perhaps poorer quality than it used to be? 

Any experienced opinions out there? 

cheers

Adrian 

It is a well known fact that any wood that is in contact with stone,concrete, cement will tend to rot more easily ,hence the reason that their is usually a felt membrane or something similar installed to keep the wood away from the stone to discourage rot.  Setting post in concrete will last a while but rot will eventually set in and they will be more difficult to replace.The type of ground the posts are in ,probably has more to do with the "life" of the post more than anything. A post that is in wet ground is unlikely to last as long as one in dry soil.Peat,sandy soil ect all have their different effects on the durability of timber.

Large was good enough for the old Shetland Boats so go with  George !

Joost buy twa or tree posts in pit dem in efter aw der no da deer.

Tanalised has its treatment to help protect it but it's fast grown... so not the best wood out there. It also, if I mind right, comes in various classes (1 through 4 I think) with 4 being rated for ground contact and anything else for above ground only.

Larch durability varies depending on where it's grown with European besting American (the latter not being recommended for ground contact by some). Heartwood posts sound promising as the grain should be tight (I'd still treat the submerged parts and tops) but I don't imagine it's as cheap as tanalised though!

Whatever you go for, do all you can to protect the end grain (soak post ends in preservative for a few days) as that's where moisture works its evil magic.

Back when I was looking at replacing our fence (still on the todo list) I happened across an alternative method using "godfather posts". The idea being you stick these concrete posts into the ground and then bolt your wood on to it. It eliminates a lot of the wood durability problems and is easier to repair... but it's not the most visually pleasing way of doing things.

Aren't you glad you asked  :razz: