WW2 spy in Ollaberry?

Fifi

This is posted on behalf of a member of the Northmavine forum who says -

"I seem to remember a story in the Shetland Times many years ago that a transmitter was found hidden in a house in Ollaberry. It would be interesting to know if anyone can tell me the facts. Over in Calback Ness opposite Ollaberry their is still the old gunsite with the tunnels leading to it."

Anyone know anything about it?

This is posted on behalf of a member of the Northmavine forum who says -

"I seem to remember a story in the Shetland Times many years ago that a transmitter was found hidden in a house in Ollaberry. It would be interesting to know if anyone can tell me the facts. Over in Calback Ness opposite Ollaberry their is still the old gunsite with the tunnels leading to it."

Anyone know anything about it?

There used to be a boom defence cable from Calback to Gluss which was raised & lowered to control shipping/submarine access to Sullom Voe. Anyone know anything about this?

Well if there is an answer to the question - please do post it here or at least give a link to it. That way all users on this board will be able to gain easy access to the knowledge too.

Thanks

trout

on Behalf of Shetlink Team.

Sure thing. Once/if the question is posted > then perhaps clanchief could post it here or the link. I personally don't know anything about it, but someone who is a member of the Northmavine forum said they did but they're not a member of Shetlink and aren't really wanting to register at the moment to post here.

• 9 months later...

... tried to follow it up using German sources as far as they are available in the net. So far no proof for the Ollaberry episode but Lerwick might be correct ... probably another one landed further sooth (Levenwick or Sandwick area), but that's looking like some kind of gossip ...

If I'll find something based in a trustable source, then I'll leave a note ... ;-)