Moving from or to Shetland

evian2

( ** Mod Edit ** - DarkStarIII had "Edinburgh - moving back to shetland" as her Location tag prompting the below question. This branch of conversation has been split from the original thread regarding Sharks to allow people to comment on "Moving from or to Shetland" ** )

Hi Darkstar, moving back to Shetland? quite a few edinburgh based ex-pats down here.

I'm actually in a similar boat - toying with the idea of going back, in fact had a job interview even. The only major differences are weekends, and travel costs. Through the week in edinburgh is the same as lerwick IMO! and you need ££££ to do anything.

I used to say i would always leave shetland.. since i was missing out on clubs and cinemas etc.. but has each year goes by .. those things mean less and less to me.. and you soon realise that life is pretty much going to be the same no matter where you live.. as at the end fo the day life is what you make it.

Other than weather and as soemoen mentioned already.. cheaper holiday abroad.. your not missing an awful lot by living up here.

I used to say i would always leave shetland.. since i was missing out on clubs and cinemas etc.. but has each year goes by .. those things mean less and less to me.. and you soon realise that life is pretty much going to be the same no matter where you live.. as at the end fo the day life is what you make it.

Other than weather and as soemoen mentioned already.. cheaper holiday abroad.. your not missing an awful lot by living up here.

I agree that workdays are mostly the same around anywhere but the difference south is that when events do happen, you can go to them without having to sell a kidney/take days off. That's why I'm leaving, I feel too isolated from the rest of the UK up here.

Speaking of which, my UPS package sent from Birmingham still isn't here - it's been 8 days since it's despatch? I suspect someone has rented a rowing boat to get it here, even then its slow.

Lol.. well I guess I am now 33 and I want to settle down and have kids.. and shetland is the place to do that...

I think its what you make it... there is a lot to do if you use your imagination, it is like anywhere... even here you can get lonely, bored, etc... and everything costs money here too.. so its like that everywhere, at least in shetland the air is cleaner, the beaches are cleaner and the people are much nicer... and the neds... well the neds are nothing up there compared to down here... trust me on that one..

If there was more horses, shetland would be too perfect... but alas.. there is still skinny dipping (whilst sticking my tongue out at the sharks), walking, paranormal research.. going to the gym, swimming, mountainbiking, kayaking.. (that should be a laugh) and jeez who knows what else ... LOL...working on my music, poems art and meeting new people and having a laugh...

Incidentally I hope we get a cinema... popcorn is good...

:D

Well as a newly relocated southerner I can comfortably say I can't see myself missing anything that the mainland has to offer. A little patience may be in order (like waiting for movies to hit DVD ;)) but the pay-off of living in such a fantastic place is worth that 1000 times over. And don't go thinking i'm still in tourist mode folks, I deal with some of the more unfortunate aspects of Shetland life on a daily basis so haven't been blinkered by the good stuff.

Life down South has just gotten out of hand over ecent years, the 'must have' culture has taken over and it's now all about earning because you want rather than need. Since moving here i feel less cynical, more spiritual and happier than I have in a long time. If I ever start to mention moving south, someone please flame me good!!! :)

Well as a newly relocated southerner I can comfortably say I can't see myself missing anything that the mainland has to offer. A little patience may be in order (like waiting for movies to hit DVD ;)) but the pay-off of living in such a fantastic place is worth that 1000 times over. And don't go thinking i'm still in tourist mode folks, I deal with some of the more unfortunate aspects of Shetland life on a daily basis so haven't been blinkered by the good stuff.

Life down South has just gotten out of hand over ecent years, the 'must have' culture has taken over and it's now all about earning because you want rather than need. Since moving here i feel less cynical, more spiritual and happier than I have in a long time. If I ever start to mention moving south, someone please flame me good!!! :)

Spiritual is good! :D

Hey Sparky...

How did you manage to move to shetland... there is problems with finding removals companies to take our stuff over to the island... there is a haulage contractor that is willing to do it, but then I am worried about insurance etc incase anything gets damaged.... so not sure what to do.... Anyone have any ideas...???????

:?

@Darkstar

Check the small print of your home contents insurance, it may include something about goods in transit. Although I think most haulage companies would have some degree of insurance to cover your stuff.

What company is it you have spoken to, out of interest?