TV Licensing

Who is going to stop paying??  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to stop paying??

• Me
    • Not Me

I do believe I have rented that very dvd from a dvd renting establishment many moons ago. :)

Watch that on the DVD on your computer did you? ;)

Nah, I'm only teasing you and longdog - I myself went without a TV for 3 odd years while I was away travelling and certainly didn't miss it. Mind you, programming outside the UK has to be seen to be believed - it is totally abysmal.

Still, living in Shetland during the winter without a TV is not a lifestyle choice that holds much appeal for me for several reasons - Mock The Week, Argumental, Channel 4 News, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Lost,24, The Daily Show, BBC4 to name but a few...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you can listen to live radio :lol:

I know this because I clarified this with them down sooth when we were being hassled. Now we're up here, new adress etc it all starts again. Think there's also a black mark against this address we need to check out.

but you're not allowed to enter any BBC competitions (not that they have them on radio any more :( ) without a tv licence.

I have some experience of the TV licensing issue.

The important point to remember if you are a 'conscientious objector' (so to speak) is that unlike most other offences TV licence offences are 'strict liability' offences which basically means you can be expected to prove you are innocent.

The easiest way to avoid having to go through the ordeal of proving yourself innocent is to not give any information whatsoever to any television enquiry officer who should call or contact you. This makes it very hard for them to establish your identity which they require to commence court proceedings.

As many people are aware these officers have tricks up there sleeves to establish what is going on and have been known to question children who answer the door so keep that in mind also.

I dealt with some of these cases successfully during my employment as a law clerk and the unsuccessful ones were always a result of statements given to the enquiry officers, so keep your mouth shut, smile and close the door.

You will of course still be pestered by letters and further visits of course but if you believe in the cause that is all part of the struggle!

like i said ive wilted in my old age n coughed up thier "inteligence tax" , but there are genuine cases of folk who genuinely dont have a tv being pestered n pestered

And genuine cases where some auld wife living alone, with no interest in having a TV, have bought a licence every year (and bought a TV set they ended up never using, as they felt "silly" buying the licence without one) just so as not have to deal with frequent letters they found "threatening" and "worrying", and regular "hard sell" strangers giving them a hard time on their own doorstep and inside their own houses, by taking quite a bit of convincing that they indeed did not have, never at anytime had had, and had no plans to own a TV set.

MJ wrote
but you're not allowed to enter any BBC competitions (not that they have them on radio any more Sad ) without a tv licence.

Why not?. Surely if I see a BBC competition on a friends tv I should be allowed to enter!

at one point my mother had problems claiming a radio prize because the address she was at did not have a TV licence. She pointed out she paid for and was named on a licence at another address and was promptly sent her prize. All the while the staff were apologising, about daft bbc rules.