Forged Bank Notes

Mag

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a couple of the fake twenties from the fire festival handed over the bar on Friday night by local jokers. They're easy enough to spot. The "Bank of Northmavine" bit across the top does give the game away somewhat! I did feel sorry for the young lass who'd obviously thought she'd found a twenty, though...

--

BigMick

I've not seen one of these infamous Bank of Northmavine notes, so I probably should keep out of this, but why should I let that stop me....

I just caught SIBC's report of it in one of his run downs of the day's main stories an hour ago, and his description of them is that as well as having "Bank of Northmavine" printed on them they look like average but squint photocopies. Now, from that, and from what's been posted here I'd form the impression that, unless the person being handed one simply wasn't paying attention, it would be pretty obvious they were of less value than Monopoly money. So, if anyone accepts one believing it to be the real thing, more fool them. Yet, and this is what got my attention, he went on to say, that even though the people who created and originally distributed these did so with, as far as anyone is aware, no criminal intent in mind, the fact other people have attempted to pass them off as genuine, the person(s) who originally created them will probably face charges of forgery and fraud.

Is this a realistic scenario, or has he gotten a bit carried away with how far he's taken his projections? And, if it is realistic, where do you draw the line? It's fine and well if someone makes a forgery that has as much of the art work intact and of a quality that makes it difficult to notice it's fake, to call them on it. But surely when you get to the stage of removing one of the main words on the note and replacing it with another large word that in no way resembles the original, and then churn them out on a photocopier, anyone who accepts that as the real thing would also accept a piece of note size mauve paper with IOU £20 scrawled on it for the real thing. I would have no issue with anyone attempting to pass one of these as genuine being charged with fraud, but to suggest whoever made them be charged with forgery and fraud, when they are as obviously not currency as these are, and they did not attempt to use them as such, seems pretty OTT to me.

The guisers return should be a riot, literally! Aabody fighting over the free currency vs the fraud squad in disguise trying to arrest all those involved, in fancy dress. :lol: Guisers in uniform wrestling police in uniform, etc., Canna wait! :D

*Note to self - ensure band can play Benny Hill music, or provide tape*

I've seen and handled these notes. Very pretty but not capable of fooling anyone. We got a few of them (jokingly I might add) presented at Scalloway Hall over the weekend.

Only danger was we were that busy at the bar that it would have been easy to accept them without question but, given that some of them are only printed on one side, it would be difficult to pass them anywhere.

To me, it was just a harmless 'fun thing' that the squad produced.

What would cause me concern though is if somebody was deliberately trying to present them outside the Fire Festival venues. That, in my opinion, is fraud.

No doubt there will be some that take a 'dim view' of them.

The really scary bit is that modern computing/copying equipment is capable of producing some really fine replicas. All it takes is a little knowledge and the right materials.

I agree that while someone deliberately trying to pass one of these notes would be fraud, the squad who made them no more intended to forge notes for profit than the makers of Monopoly do. What next? Will half the squads by charged with impersonating police men??

Why not wait and see what the police do about it? That is my suggestion.

Maybe someone should pass that suggestion on to the SIBC then when a future incident occurs, perferably before they up the anti with what could be anything from a gross understatement to over-hyped sensationalised conjecture and/or wishful thinking. Such statements once made, regardless of if in the fullness of time they prove to be unfounded speculation. Are remembered, and IMHO only serve to lower even further in some people's eyes, the already low opinion some people have of the local Police, which I don't think can be of benefit to anyone.

Humble Pie time I'm afraid...

My earlier posting suggesting that it would be difficult to pass one of these notes was wrong.

It seems that one of them was passed over the bar at Scalloway Hall on Friday night. We only discovered it this evening when one of the band phoned to let us know that we had paid them with it.. (We took the money from the bar to pay them)

I have also been told this evening that 6 (SIX) had been passed at Tingwall Hall (UNCONFIRMED). This seems like a very high number to me and could be the subject of a little inflation (not to mention hearsay). Nevertheless, deliberately passing 1 is fraud, passing 6 is definately so!!!

I still believe that the squad concerned produced these notes as a joke but it looks like there might have been an opportunist or two on the loose.

I have also been told this evening that 6 (SIX) had been passed at Tingwall Hall (UNCONFIRMED).

I've just spoken to the person in charge of the bar at the Tingwall Hall. Only ONE note was passed as a joke, and the person immediately confessed and paid up.