Parish League?

Stoichkov

I know Victorandjack did not wholeheartedly propose such a theory but i thought it was an interesting idea and wondered what people's opinions on the subject were?

Would this be more appealing to country teams? Who would play in such a league? Is it an anti-Lerwick thing? What would happen to non-parish sides? Could the present state of affairs eventually lead to a break away league? Or is this just a waste of time and not even worth discussion?!!

I don't agree with the idea and think all the best sides in Shetland should play in one division both town and country, with probably 2 lower divisions composed of sides and players from across Shetland.

In my own honest opinion i think the parish cup itself is in need of a re-vamp and i think its over-rated (oooh the controversy!)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally cant see it working, who would join? Unst, Yell if you stick to the eligiability rules then Burra could struggle to field a team as some of their squad from last year certainly would'nt qualify, if Southend, Cunningsburgh and Sandwick joined their would be no Ness team in the A league, Quite a lot of Westiside parish players play for Whitedale in the SFA competition at present so if they joined there would be a slim chance of Whitedale having a senior team, whalsay and Delting might field their B squads in it? so possibly you would have Unst, Yell, Whalsay b and Delting b? hardly a interesting prospect.

As for re-vamping it the way it stands it has most teams happy, the games do have to be shifted sometimes to suit around other fixtures but most of the time it works out, the games tend to draw big crowds, so i cant see it needing to be changed much but if there are any good ideas floating around then im sure they would be listend to at the AGM.

I know its still probably the biggest and best knock-out trophy there is and certainly the most popular, but i just think it could possibly be improved. The games/rounds being played at different dates is a bit o a shambles both in senior and under 21's. Teams gettin winning a semi in july while waiting for the other sides to complete the other half of the draw in late aug/sept. I don't agree with it being open to Lerwick sides although it would be interesting to see how much enthusiasm Lerwick players would have if they were allowed to enter.

If i could make two changes i would (a) Allow Scalloway to compete (if they wanted to) and they could take back the east voe which was cruelly annexed in the purge of 2000andsumfin?! They would be a strong competitive side and it would possibly lift Scalloway where fitba seems to be on the slide in the village. (B) Create a seperate gulberwick/quarff side from Cunnningsburgh. This is a country area that's population has boomed. If they wanted to i'm sure they could set up a competitive side. At present Cunningsburgh could win the thing in a few years with a team made up of entirely non-cunningsburgh boys?! Also these Quarff/gulberwick players don't really seem to want to play 4 c'burgh in the parish, would they be more enthusiastic with their own side?

I just think a couple more teams would make it more interesting. With the present 10 teams it doesn't make it too difficult to reach the final if you get an favourable draw and teams lik sandwick, c'burgh or whitedale are unable to field sides.

The competition is deeply flawed at present with most sides not representative of actual parishes, i.e. it is not really a "parish cup". A re-think is required. It should be reignited by encompassing the whole of Shetland.

As for a Parish league what a back step that would be for some of the teams, though given the narrow mind set of some this would probably appeal to them.

Stoichkov wrote: 'I don't agree with it being open to Lerwick sides'

I have to disagree with that, Lerwick could be divided into three areas, Sound, Staneyhill and in ower. Growing up in Lerwick or Scalloway and not being allowed to play in the 'Best knockout cup' to represent your community is a bit of a joke. I don't think there would be a great deal of enthusiasm for it but at least gives the boys a chance to play.

How can the Parish Cup be the best competition when Lerwick and Scalloway are not allowed to enter?, discrimation perhaps?, I think so.

I don't know about the Lerwick thing, like i say it would be 'interesting' but i couldn't see the member sides letting them in at the moment and i still think it is traditionally a competition for country teams and should probably stick to that at present. Possibly if Scalloway and perhaps a gulberwick side were allowed in then the addition of Lerwick sides could be reviewed in a couple o years. But i do agree that there are exclusionist elements to the competition which i don't like, its a good competition but if it remains entrenched in tradition i think it will lose its appeal in the future unless changes are made.

The Parish Cup was a competition started in 1952 by the Shetland Football Association to promotoe football in rural areas. It was prodiminantly a competition played out amongst teams from the Southend in the early years.

That purpose had long been met with advent of fancy transport networks and things like buses and cars. Man, alomst every Parish has there own football field wi goals and everything.

The game has moved on, teams from all accross the whole islands play each other at all levels from 8's and up and the Parish Cup should be all inclusive.

Just a peerie point.

Given that the referees group up here demand, rightly so, that the SFA pay rates and adhere to rules and procedures on all things including disciplinary procedures, referee qualification and insurance etc through the Scottish governing body I assume the same stipulations apply to the Parish Association who I notice from the SAFA website are not affiliated.

During my DT Wobblers days a notable referee who shall remain nameless, was refereeing one of our games, and it was the first time I remember him doing a works league match so I asked him at half time why he didn't do it more often, he said he tried his best to avoid referee works league games as his referee insurance was invalid because the Works League was not recognised by the SAFA.

Never seem to have any bother getting refs though, and it doesn't cost that much to affiliate to the SAFA if it comes to it. Re an inclusive cup if you were going to have Lerwick in the competition then they should be the teams that are already established if not you will have the problem of another set of teams trying to complete fixtures along with the SFA and works fixtures, plus cant see the management of the current Lerwick teams being happy to have players saying they canna come to the game tonight im playing for the Staney hill in the parish cup? :? ,

Penfold, do Delting, Whalsay, Burra etc Parish Cup games clash with their other fixtures as it is at present?,

Yes they do.

The Parish association never manage to get the 12 games the organise played on the dates they fix so they do clash often and the SFA, kindly, cancel and arrange around the fo pa's.

I know that Delting played a league fixture the day before almost every Parish cup fixture over the past three years or so, including PC finals.

Never seem to have any bother getting refs though, and it doesn't cost that much to affiliate to the SAFA if it comes to it.

It may very well pose problems. Each Association affiletes to the SAFA at around £100 per season and then the clubs also have to affiliate at a rate of around £60. These fees include insurance etc and that makes the referees insurance valid I believe.

The PC "clubs" would need to affiliate. Do they exist? West United, Sandwick, Cunningsburgh etc?