• Windows 98/xp/vista etc.
    • Mac OS
    • Linux (any distrobution)
    • A Mixture

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I am the only person to use linux pretty exclusively I have XP box in my house which I hardly use, and is only XP because my flat-mates insist on I-poods.

I have used different flavors of linux for about 10 years including *BSDs, and trough my familiarity with it I find I can do almost anything I need with it except music or video editing but that is due to the old clunkers of machines I use, and I have no time or patience for games.

--

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."

- The Tick

Been using Debian linux for more than 10 years and I'm quite happy with it. I have a windows machine in the house that the kids (and occasionally me) play games on, but for mostly everything else I use linux.

I note that Solaris isn't on the list. I use that for work, and have a few ultrasparcs lying around. Sparc linux is still a bit wobbly, but kde runs fine on solaris.

As for the old OS argument, well personally I feel that linux still isn't ready for the average joe bloggs user. Yes, you can do everything on a linux box that you can on a windows machine -and in many cases better - but seeing as how most people will use either a PC or a mac for the first few years makes the switch to linux difficult. Nothing is comfortable, everything is slightly different and not many people have the time and patience to relearn everything all over again. Its great for us geeks - i mean I can bring a windows machine to its knees in a matter of seconds when programming, but linux generally keeps ticking over no matter how many mistakes I make. But for someone wanting to play games, and write letters or just cruise the internet, let them carry on and use what they are used to.

To each their own, I say.

--

BigMick

Sorry BigMick, there are a few I missed out

Trout any chance of updating the poll, without starting a new thread?

For all my linux friends out there:

Which is the most popular: KDE or Gnome?

Which do you use?

Or are there any other desktop envirnments you use e.g. XFCE?

I like KDE and GNOME (bit bloated IMHO), although the best window manager I have used is Fluxbox. Its fantastically quick, sleak, no-nonsense, thats on my gentoo server.

I like KDE and GNOME (bit bloated IMHO), although the best window manager I have used is Fluxbox. Its fantastically quick, sleak, no-nonsense, thats on my gentoo server.

I agree that both are bloated, and I wouldn't use most of the stuff that comes with them, I also hate it when I find an simple app that demands half the libs for one or the other. I use OpenBox with ROX-Filer, and gentoo under that, speedy.

Just Remember: A computer as all the intelligence of an inanimate object, because that is what it is!

Currently I'm using gnome. It is bloated and can be a pain in the ass, but I haven't had the leisure to sort out a window manager the way I like it.

I used to the enlightenment window manager, then moved on to windowmaker, and then KDE. I put up with KDE for about three months before I was back using windowmaker. Now I'm using gnome as it was installed by default and I'm just too busy/lazy to move over to something else :) .

I wonder what the future holds for Windows after Vista?

...............The next version of Windows ("Vienna") may well have a completely new GUI, sandboxes for unmanaged code and use the net to deliver your desktop to you wherever you are. All good stuff. It's slated for 2009. Uh-huh :wink:

Speaking of delivering desktops over the internet in 2009. Its here!!!!!!! Take a look at this:

http://eyeos.org/about

• 2 weeks later...