Blackwood Distillers

clanchief

Poor GR. How you like to wriggle. You are fond of using allegory yourself but refuse to accept it from others. I understood that you were one of those who claim that an incomer can never become a Shetlander...so,how can a Shetlander become anything other than a Shetlander? Human or animal.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor GR. How you like to wriggle. You are fond of using allegory yourself but refuse to accept it from others. I understood that you were one of those who claim that an incomer can never become a Shetlander...so,how can a Shetlander become anything other than a Shetlander? Human or animal.

Did you really? Perhaps you'd be kind enough to point out from where you gained this understanding, as I have no recollection of stating such.

Another Blackwoods clip -

Awful dress and a very, 'OMG! Shetland!' attitude.

The whole affair seems very 'Santaland' to me - like the similar project in Tom Morton's The Further North You Go. Someone comes in with a wild idea, takes heaps of money from the overly keen and underly cautious development trust, then vanishes.

And I've always wondered who exactly expects wealthy tourists to want to spend time on an old military base in Unst. I find Unst lovely, but I can't imagine thousands of 'wealthy tourists' flocking to Unst to stay in lightly modified barracks. Unst is no Mallorca or Dubai. One rather runs out of things to do there after a day and a half or so, if you're really thorough.

But all the luck to Valhalla Brewery. Great products there.[/i]

However, given that by the owner's own admission recently in the press, that his production capacity and consequently his ability to supply his products to all potential stockists fell somewhat short of ideal. Chances are he was only able to benefit marginally, if any, so far, to any benefits which may have come his way.

I was reading somewhere recently (ST? or did I hear it on GES?) that Valhalla is limited by production capacity - he just doesn't have enough kit to produce more - but he would be able to expand if he got a Saxa Vord space. So really Valhalla may come out on top in this whole debacle.

My personal opinion, as I'm no lawyer, thank god, is that if the company had any less tangible connection with Shetland, they would be treading a very thin line as regards the terms of the Trade Decriptions Act in using the name.

Unlike the knitwear industry, everywhere you go there's 'Shetland' wool jumpers that've never seen Shetland :roll:

I think folk should look to Frank Strang to see why Blackwoods have gone back to their original plans for Nesting. It was his plans to turn Unst into a haven for rich tourists that tempted Blackwoods to Unst - pipe dreams for the community of Unst and I think Blackwoods were drawn into the dream.

As for no tangible link, Shetland water and Botanicals in the Gin and Shetland Cream in the Jago. Both products have huge markets and have done wonders for the whole image of Shetland by putting it on the map for lots of folk.

Wtf are locals so determined to see outsiders fail?

p.s. Blackwoods have never received a single penny of support from the council - what about all the local entrepreneurs that have milked the charitable trust and gone bust #cough# salmon #cough#

S.O.E.S £10,000,000 an noo wan o dem wants to get on da cooncil, we hae enough local rogues weoot bringin ony more in

• 10 months later...
Anyone tried the Blackwood Gin? I recommend you should taste it...what a fantastic taste...the hand picked botanicles changes the flavour each year...fabulous

Which brings us back to free advertising again. Oh what a surprise, a newbie without any posts to their name suddenly bangs on about how bloody wonderful Blackwoods Gin is. Do us a favour and sausage off and pay for advertising rather try and convince us you're a netizen who happens to like Blackwoods Gin. Alternatively call yourself something that obviously and legitimately links you to Blackwoods.

Seeing as we are on the topic of Blackwood...has anyone seen the different brands of premium drinks they create. They are fantastic.

Right, I need help.

If anyone out there can help me here...that would be great. I am trying to find high net worth investors/angel investors/private investors/sophisticated investors who are interested in investing in beverage companies in return for an equity stake.

Your help will be appreciated