What would make you want to leave Britain...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, let's see now. If I lived in a B Listed Building above two shops. If the roof was practically falling off and the water had created dry rot which had cost me thousands of pounds in internal repairs, God knows how many hours in DIY, and still left several rooms semi-inhabitable. If the title deeds stated that the shop owners were equally liable for repairing the roof, but, as they were not affected by the dry rot, they were unwilling to pay for it. If my lawyer told me that there was nothing I could do to enforce the title deeds and if I had the repairs done I would have no hope of recovering the money. If I went to the council asking for help and, instead of sending the shop owners notices telling them to repair their listed building, they informed me that they couldn't do this but I would have to repair the roof with more expensive materials. If I appealed to repair the roof with ordinary materials, the council members passed my appeal, and this decision was overturned by Historic Scotland. If the shop owners still wouldn't fork up and the council still wouldn't approach them at all unless the house was actually in rack and ruin, but still insisted that I repair the roof with antediluvian materials. If my MSP wrote to Historic Scotland, and they claimed that the final decision was up to the council, whereas the council officers claim that it must be referred to Historic Scotland. If I could only get a Defective Buildings notice issued by pointing out in writing that the building was dangerous to passers-by, which presumably put the council officers own skins on the line if they didn't act. If the shop owners had then accepted a quote for the materials which I wasn't allowed to use, the council told me that it would be a criminal offence if I repaired the roof with these materials, but the counil consistently refused to give the shop owners the same information. If the Ombudsman had not only defended but commended the council's policy of not acting until buildings are practically falling down. And if this had been going on for about eight years.