What would make you want to leave Britain...

Iceland maybe

so very wild an empty - laek Yell but a lok more so! Rural Iceland haes, laek, a hoose at Voe, an dan da nixt een is maybee in Quarff. wild an empty.

Plus a proper health system free at da point o need, plenty snow if you laek snow, marvellously grumpy fok, mirry dancers ivry night, free hot watter comin oot da grund, no neds, an lots o weemen wi rid hair.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather agree with Ghostrider - the UK's been getting crappier and crappier over the last 30 years and it really is no longer the country I'd hoped to grow old in. Mostly this is due to successive governments getting more and more obsessed with micro-managing our lives and snooping on our every act, no matter how innocent.

Where to? - In Europe, Germany, which probably has more of European culture than anywhere, and fewer "English enclaves" than, say, the south of France or Spain. Otherwise, probably somewhere like Mexico - warm weather, laid back culture, only real disadvantage the northern neighbour. Prices are pretty low, too.

Or, as I've commented in another thread, Shetland, after Scottish independence and Shetland then realigning with Scandinavia ...

So ... any rich, unspoken-for German ladies reading this thread?

:D :D :D <-- süsses Lächeln!

^^^ Which is why we should be willing to stick around and change it for the better. Not that I am in any way politically active (beyond the odd forum rant :wink:) but I can't see myself leaving.

The positives, the negatives, and the ability to moan about them, make up a Britain which I am proud of, and which I think is generally very under-appreciated, especially from within. I don't think many of my generation can really understand how easy they have life, and the sacrifices that have been made to make it that way. They make most of our current problems seem fairly insignificant.

^^^ Which is why we should be willing to stick around and change it for the better. Not that I am in any way politically active (beyond the odd forum rant :wink:) but I can't see myself leaving.

It's a good point, but you have to be realistic at the same time. For me, some things are unchangable (climate), and most of the rest would, as far as I can see, be considered either very un-PC or a large majority would oppose, or at least choose not to support them. So, wearing my "well behaved citizen of a democratic nation" hat, I'm admitting I'm massively outvoted and looking at other places where the dominant way of thinking appears to be more aligned with my own.

It's a good point, but you have to be realistic at the same time. For me, some things are unchangable (climate),.

Thats going to change isn't it? Global warming and all.

It's a good point, but you have to be realistic at the same time. For me, some things are unchangable (climate),.

Thats going to change isn't it? Global warming and all.

Perhaps, but I've been aware of no appreciable change in temps in Shetland in 40+ years, I was freezing my xxxxxxx's off as a kid 9-10 month from the 12, and still am....and I don't have another 40 years to hang around waiting on the warm front deciding to come along. Besides, my patience is done with dealing with the climate too.