Sampling Movies - Copyright Issues

Jordan

Not an expert but I'd imagine it would be the same as using samples from music recordings i.e. you would need to get permission to use the sampled audio from the copyright holder.

edit: Mind you if the film itself was out of copyright then you'd be ok I'd guess.

Mu

I've done that before and it was a legal nightmare! The sample had to be removed at the last minute. If we'd released the album the owners of the film's copyright could have ordered all the copies to be destroyed! It was a fairly long and recognisable quote though

To stay on the right side of the law you'd have to seek the permission of the film's producers if it's a dialog recording you want to use. If it's a smaller independent producer it'll be easier, but if it's one of the biggies they'll probably not be on for it, or would charge an astronomical sum

You'd probably be OK if it's not for commercial release though, or a very short section

Alternatively you could 'mock up' the sample. I don't think the film producers could assert copyright of the actual words (if it's a fairly short section), rather they'd own the copyright of the recording

Many TV shows, mainly documentary and news, are public domain from the word go, however this would be very rare for any other types i suspect.

There are a surprising number of classic movies in the public domain now though, so if its not too recent a film, then checking IMDB to see who owns it would be a good start.