Police

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they would only know this by pointing there gadget at us.

That's not what the guidelines say though is it paul, they're supposed to judge the speed of the vehicle first then target it, not the other way around.

As I quoted before

The device confirms and corroborates their prior personal opinion

Maybe because they are trained to judge speeds.....

They may not be able to differentiate between 33 & 38 or 60 and 70 for that matter but it's easy enough to judge the speed of an aproaching vehicle.

Every driver is trained in this to an extent when learning to drive, it's the difference between pulling out in front of someone at a junction and fitting into the gaps....

Stand next to a road sometime and you may notice some cars drive quicker than others, it doesn't take long before you know roughly how quick they're going...Specially if you have a device in your hands that can confirm what you're thinking ;)

There are many indications of speed, but it can only come from experience.

I can normally tell if a car is breaking the speed limit, even by 5 mph ish at slower speeds, I have been working with traffic management for a number of years. I dont think you can do a days instructin on it.

I put it down to a 6th sorta sense, but it is realy an interpritation of engine noise, location, visuals, tyre noise and driver. It seems to be a formula of all of those, the driver bit comes from the road conditions, generally I stop traffic for a wee while or make it go a diferent way and certain drivers will always think that you deserve to be put at risk for holding them up for any length of time.

There are also markers on the road, street lamps are about 30-40 metres apart, the white lines on the motorway are 5 metres apart, there are markers on the motorway that indicate 100 metres, the distance from or to the start of the motorway and the direction of the nearest emergency telephone. Most of the time it aint magic, but can seem it.

we were done in brae for not slowing down fast enough. 36 in a 30. we were doing it so fare enough but how could the police judge if we were doing 33 or 38 without there gun.

once you pass the 30 sign, you have to be doing thirty, in theory, you have to be doing thirty before you pass the sign, 36 mph is 20% above the speed limit or 1 fifth. They may have a series of marks to determin speed. It is the same as doing 60 instead of 50, easily determinable.

This idea of holding on to drunk drivers.......make that alleged drunk drivers......seems like some sort of "instant punishment" that the police have decided on and it could well be illegal. Maybe the new man at the top will change things.

Sorry 'justme' but I think you might find with the timing of it's introduction that it was the 'new man at the top' who introduced the new policy (copying practice in the rest of the force)! The previous boss was an independent minded person who always did what was best for your islands.

Aye, is this no the same man what got hisself on to the proclammation at the Cross after a few weeks of being up here? I found the snipit in the ST on the last top cop very interesting. At least the last man was a Shetlander interested in Shetland. :roll:

I know I am right Rocky,,,,, you just needed to be shown the way!

Anyway as I have previously proclaimed I AM NOT a police officer, I just don't like injustice,,,,, if you are right about someone else who is wrong then fair enough,,,, if you are wrong then there is always someone like me out there waiting to put you right.

Maybe you should pop up to the Hillhead and tell them.

I personally don't have a problem with the police playing hide and seek, I might do if I was speeding. Although to be fair I haven't seen them 'hiding' for many years now, gone are the good old days when they jumped out of the bus stop at the south end of Brae and gunned you as you were coming into the village. I always thought that funny. How can you fail to spot them ? They wear bright yellow jackets, their cars are marked up, maybe it's a case of paying attention when you are driving.

Playing fair works both ways, you don't speed and they won't do you.

This idea of holding on to drunk drivers.......make that alleged drunk drivers......seems like some sort of "instant punishment" that the police have decided on and it could well be illegal. Maybe the new man at the top will change things.

Sorry 'justme' but I think you might find with the timing of it's introduction that it was the 'new man at the top' who introduced the new policy (copying practice in the rest of the force)! The previous boss was an independent minded person who always did what was best for your islands.

It may well be practice within the rest of the Northern Constabulary but that does not mean it is right or indeed legal. And of course the policy has implications for cost or time spent attending to a prisoner who would otherwise have been released once they were sober enough to pass the breath test.

And moving on to speed checks I have to admit that I have crossed some of the old style wires across the road with my foot very firmly on the brake pedal but I will also admit that the thought of "getting caught" has encouraged me to pay more attention to speed limits especially at quiet times of the day (or night) when I saw little harm in going a bit faster than the rules said.

I'd hope they stopped hiding in the bushes too, opposite the voe school used to be a favorite place for them...

Yep, I was caught there. A copper appeared out of nowhere with the speed gun in hand and flagged me down.

He repremanded me with a huge stonesing about how much of an idiot I was to be speeding near a school, even after I protested that it was 7pm on a Sunday night the school was highly unlikely to be open.

No complaints about being done for speeding, it was my own fault for not paying attension, but i thought i was a bit sneaky at the time.

Another one of their favorite hiding places was behind the water hut on Eastvoe road at Scalloway.