Earth Sheltered Housing

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Why wait when houses are badly needed? You don't have to wait till you're rich, Nigel.

Make a deal with Stuart Hill, he'll be looking for partners and he might be able to finance your ideas with money from Forvik citizenships. I am sure you'll compliment each other splendidly.

One bird in the hand is much more valuable than 10 birds sitting on the roof!

Make things happen, Nigel!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuart Hill is a possibility :-) but his island is rather small, and lacking in existing services, where as Fetlar fares much better in this regard..

Plus he currently restricts his citizenship to existing Shetland residents or those with with certain types of links, none of which catagories I appear to be in at the moment.

Plus, you'd have to add a large slice of ones budget to defending the island from invasion, as I'm sure once you built a few things you'd come to the attention of the authorities who would be keen to administor the full planning laws and then you'd find yourself at war..

Again, much easier to just build someplace you can get permission to without creating an international conflict zone.

FX [ listens to EM and makes notes ]

Which part of a dome do you call the roof for the purposes of insulation :-)

You'd also I imagine need to insulate the floor part too.

Mr Hill might be a possibility as a good location to build a geothermal plant though, as the spoil could help increase the size of the island and all that cheap electric could be sold to his neighbours..

Stuart Hill is a possibility :-) but his island is rather small, and lacking in existing services, where as Fetlar fares much better in this regard..

Plus he currently restricts his citizenship to existing Shetland residents or those with with certain types of links, none of which catagories I appear to be in at the moment.

Plus, you'd have to add a large slice of ones budget to defending the island from invasion, as I'm sure once you built a few things you'd come to the attention of the authorities who would be keen to administor the full planning laws and then you'd find yourself at war..

Again, much easier to just build someplace you can get permission to without creating an international conflict zone.

Mr Hill might be a possibility as a good location to build a geothermal plant though, as the spoil could help increase the size of the island and all that cheap electric could be sold to his neighbours..

Which part of a dome do you call the roof for the purposes of insulation[/quote0

would a concrete dome covered in earth need much insulation either?

I doubt it...

floors are generally insulated before pouring them too, but then you'd know that already I expect.. :roll:

Nigel, I think you've not given Mr. Hill serious attention.

You can get a citizenship alright. It is just CHEAPER if you're a Shetlander.

Whether a large proportion of money for law suits will be necessary is up to Mr. Hill as he provides the money. He has plans for a legal fund for the purpose.

And a geothermal plant will be useful both to Shetland and Forvik anytime. SO GO ON AND GET STARTED!

As for planning permission; he has build on the island and has not yet had any reaction from planning authorities.

I guess they are busy seeing Chris Hodge out :roll:

There is an RSPB reserve in the south-east of Fetlar, and the island as a whole is designated an Environmentally Sensitive Area, with large sections also classified as Special Protected Areas and Special Areas of Conservation.

I think you would have a job getting permission to build there at the best of times!

I'm not aware that Fetlar is awash with services to allow it's expansion from a population of 50 to 30 000 or so. (That's assuming an average of 2 occupants per house).

maybe the Council better put the new breakwater on hold. It's gonna have to be a bit bigger than planned. :)

Fetlar has areas zoned for housing the same as everywhere else in Shetland and while I can't comment on the earth sheltered house, building a "conventional house" in the main inhabited areas should not pose any major problems if you have a site.

In fact there is a landowner with two prospective sites with outline planning in place which would I assume would be available if anyone was interested.

Oh, but Nigel IS very realistic about it:

'Not necessarly Fetlar for the 10,000 town sized community, but its a good place to start with a 20 people one and go from there. (I have in mind several stages might be best, a 20 people community, then go for a 200 person one, then 2,000, then the full wack of 10,000, not necessarly all in the same place.)'

Nigel, I'm no expert joiner. But it seems to me when you build a house you start making the foundation before the walls and chimneys.

I understand that the foundation for your charitable housing plans are success and loads of money origining from your IT activiites.

I see from a website that you work (or used to work?) for NJT Computing Ltd. Info from Companies House: NJT Computing Ltd was registered February 2007 but never submitted any account and was dissolved on 21/8 2008.

It seems to me, Nigel, that you need help with foundations........

Or do you just fancy idle chatting about castles in the air????

Don't misunderstand me, Nigel. That is perfectly OK. But it seems to me if that is what you are doing, then it'll be only fair that people you chat with are aware of it.