Some folk have brains

soljey

I dont see whats wrong with either or both or why you count yourself as more of a thinking person because you can only enjoy the script.

I have enjoyed watching the special effects in movies progress over time, it is after all an art form like no other before it, although yes, obviously a few decent actors and a worthwhile script helps.

If visual effects detract from the script for you, why not just read the screenplay.

I have enjoyed watching the special effects in movies progress over time,

It is interesting to note now how the role of CGI effects has changed. In the early days the studios would make a big deal of how they were using super expensive hi-tech in their films. Now, because CGI is cheaper than live-action for standard action stuff, they make a point of stressing whenever they've decided to use live action instead of CGI.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying there's intrinsically anything wrong with effects-driven movies. I've enjoyed quite a few of them every since seeing Star Wars at the North Star up to the recent Batman movies, etc. But Hollywood seems to put so much into seemingly getting as much effects into the movie that script, character dvelopment is forgotten. Take, eg, Pearl Harbour (although there were some mistakes in historical accuracy). Fantastic effects, abysmal storyline and acting. Hence, the preponderance of superhero movies. Often an excuse just to produce more 'amazing' special effects. So much so that one if often left thinking 'great effects', but not caring what happened to the characters in it.

A good example of an intellectually complex film where the effects are used very cleverly is Waking Life. It was made by Richard Linklater before he did A Scanner Darkly (which is also a rare example of the effects being integral to the storyline).

Here's my favourite clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy3yD5K0gvE

The discussion, coincidentally, concerns film scripts.

But Hollywood seems to put so much into seemingly getting as much effects into the movie that script, character dvelopment is forgotten. Take, eg, Pearl Harbour (although there were some mistakes in historical accuracy). Fantastic effects, abysmal storyline and acting. Hence, the preponderance of superhero movies. Often an excuse just to produce more 'amazing' special effects.

I think you're underestimating the influence of the actual film-makers; "Hollywood" isn't just one company.

I am in 200% agreement that Pearl Harbour is a MONUMENTAL pile of crap, but that was helmed by Michael Bay - A main offender in a list of hack directors, people like Brett Ratner, Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson.

On the other hand - again, in terms of films which regularly feature special effects - there are directors like Christopher Nolan, Guillermo Del Toro and Peter Jackson.

On the whole, I reckon any film which is "effects driven" should be approached with caution. The Dark Knight - for example - had it's fair share of effects, but was all about the characters and their relationships. I don't think that means it's made by or for people "who have brains", it's just a good film.

I think the acid test for effects is: if you can watch the film again in 15 - 20 years, and the effects don't look really, really dated and crappy, then yes, it was done properly in the first place. But I'm definitely on the side of a good script - if it's not a good story, it's not a good story.

Ah, the pleasures of radio, where the pictures are so much better :D

@Suddenstop - Ah well then you can't have seen "SS Doomtrooper". Poor CGI, poor script, poor acting and straight to video via cable channels. An example of how not to rely on CGI.

Personally I prefer a movie with a strong script, a robust plot, and if possible appropriate use of SFX. When the mood takes me and I can't be bothered to think, a good old shoot em up CGI movie does the trick, something like Starship Troopers.

Audiences are the same as everyone else - there's dumb people and smart people and average people, and they all enjoy movies of all kinds, CGI, costume drama, complicated plots etc. To describe all movie goers that like CGI'ed blockbusters as stupid and those that enjoy well scripted films as smart is a touch simplistic and possibly even just plain wrong.

Sometimes though, the studios do churn out poorly constructed crud purely for financial reasons, and tweak the movies in ways that the film makers don't like but have a contracted responsibility to allow.

Ah, whatever. Go see something complicated if you like that sort of thing. It won't mean that you're smart. It will just show what sort of film you like.

A great example of sfx gone wrong was Jaws. They had a big rubber shark... which looked crap, so they cut it out except for a couple of scenes and ended up with one of the greatest monster movie's ever where you never saw the monster. A technique repeated with Alien, the greatest monster movie ever. Less is more. :twisted:

Another example of a great monster which still looks good was the '80s remake of The Thing.