Mark Radcliffe's Summer Adventure

mutopian

Looks like The Family Mahone are having a trip up to these parts near the end of June.

Mark confirmed the other week on his show that he was indeed coming up to Shetland on the 22nd June to do a radio show and a couple of gigs - one possibly in Yell.

The Family Mahone website also lists the 23rd/24th June as gig dates for them.

Personally I can't wait :)

I'm dusting off my red carpet as i speak. Mark Radcliffe is like John Peel's demented comedy brother. I like him.

The Family Mahone? I only ever heard snippits on his R1 show, are they continuously funny? Or does it wear thin? Are they excellent musicians?

I imagine that if you don't take them too seriously (and I'm sure they don't) then they'll be a great laugh.

He had Kate Rusby on the show last Thursday and John McCusker was playing along side her and it sounded like he was coming up as well.

Coming here due to Glasto not happening this year - praise be !

He is coming up to do the music seminars that the Arts Trust is organising and at the same time he is bringing his band up to play at the Johnsmas Foy. He is also going to do his Radio 2 show from Pit Lane on the Thursday night.

This all started because somebody from Shetland e-mailed Mark Radcliffe's programme when Sid Griffin was on. The e-mail asked about Sid's trip to Shetland as part of the Coal Porters (what he though of Unst etc?), he went on to tell stories about how great his trip to Shetland was etc. Mark Radcliffe said something along the lines of wanting to go up to Shetland because it sounded great. I remembered that Davie said ages ago that he wanted Mark Radcliffe to do a seminar so I e-mailed the show and he said he was well up for it. He mentioned Shetland on almost every show after that for a while.......

He had Kate Rusby on the show last Thursday and John McCusker was playing along side her and it sounded like he was coming up as well.

John McCusker is coming up to play with Julie Fowlis and Roddie Woomble.

splendid stuff Marvin - knew someone had to know more about it :)

did wonder for a while if it was the folk festival he was coming up for as he mentioned shetland a couple of times along with the cambridge festival but we hadn't heard anything around the office.

Would this be part of a tour promoting Roddy's new solo album by any chance?

Probably not part of a tour but the will be playing on Mark Radcliffe's show and possibly a small gig somewhere in Lerwick.

Mark Radcliffe wanted to do the show from Shetland but he needed guests of a certain calibre before the BBC would let him. Roddy was thinking about coming up for the music seminars but he couldn't confirm anything. It got to the stage where somebody had to confirm to get the other one to confirm. To end up with, the BBC phoned Roddy and worked it all out.....so if one hadn't have come we would have ended up with nowt.

Would this be part of a tour promoting Roddy's new solo album by any chance?

Probably not part of a tour but the will be playing on Mark Radcliffe's show and possibly a small gig somewhere in Lerwick.

Mark Radcliffe wanted to do the show from Shetland but he needed guests of a certain calibre before the BBC would let him. Roddy was thinking about coming up for the music seminars but he couldn't confirm anything. It got to the stage where somebody had to confirm to get the other one to confirm. To end up with, the BBC phoned Roddy and worked it all out.....so if one hadn't have come we would have ended up with nowt.

Cheers Marvin. I may have to make a trip home if he does play a gig.