40 members have voted

1. 1. CCTV

• yes
    • no

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if wi-fi is up to this yet, so I imagine there will be quite a lot of expense invloved in wiring the things up. They would presumably need separate power, control and video signal cables, all wired back to the Police Station.

These things usually use dedicated RF transmission systems which are expensive, but probably a lot cheaper than miles of cable and repeater amps.

why is everybody so keen on these things all of a sudden? does the perpetual 'big brother' series' make it all seem like entertainment? does it give everyone a chance to strut their drunken stuff on camera in the hope it'll appear on pop idol?

if violence erupts at the cross, or anywhere else, it's likely to be spur of the moment, which means the presence of a camera isn't going to prevent it.

if it's premeditated it won't happen in front of cameras.

so cctv is an expensive way of paying the police to watch telly.

and hopefully up their conviction rate...

...if the picture quality on these things wasn't so terrible. if any bona fide criminals are caught thanks to the blurry pixellated quasimodo footage obtained from such things, i'll eat a bag of train robbers. :roll:

Guest Anonymous
why is everybody so keen on these things all of a sudden? does the perpetual 'big brother' series' make it all seem like entertainment? does it give everyone a chance to strut their drunken stuff on camera in the hope it'll appear on pop idol?

if violence erupts at the cross, or anywhere else, it's likely to be spur of the moment, which means the presence of a camera isn't going to prevent it.

so cctv is an expensive way of paying the police to watch telly.

and hopefully up their conviction rate...

...if the picture quality on these things wasn't so terrible. if any bona fide criminals are caught thanks to the blurry pixellated quasimodo footage obtained from such things, i'll eat a bag of train robbers. :roll:

Totally ridiculous post...

I mean, how are you going to eat a bag of train robbers? Honestly... :lol:

When you think about it, especially in a small and relatively easy to police area like commercial street, CCTV is almost like a passive entrapment policy. "Let them do it, then we'll sort it". Treating the symptom and not preventing it.

the police seem to want nowhere open late, nobody on the streets (reducing the need for police on the streets), dogs to find their drugs, cameras to catch their criminals... is this so they can catch up on paperwork or something?

New Xbox mate. Not enough hours in the day.

The Playstation 2 Days were hard enough.

alledgedly :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've seen those CCTV vans in use in some of Edinburghs "nicer" areas ... they in my mind do nothing but displace trouble.

What use in Lerwick town centre would a CCTV van be - imagine: van placed at Cross ... peripheral vision - the cross and down to victoria pier and along so far to the post office.

An individual gets a good kicking just out of its vision. Perpetrators walk home in the knowledge that they've bypassed all the current cameras and the supposed new CCTV van! Whoopee.

Those dishing it out are going to be wise enough not to be in its view. If not they really are stupid and would be caught anyway .. with or without it!

If you are going to commit a crime will you do it when there is a policeman standing next to you?

If you are going to commit a crime will you do it when there is a mobile CCTV van next to you?

If you are going to commit a crime will you do it when there is CCTV installed?

I (if I was going to commit a crime, which I'm not, honest) would say no to the first two and possibly to the third one. In the third scenario I might not realise that there are cameras installed.

Static cameras have limited rotation so it is easy to stay out of their range. Only complete strangers would be detected by any system.

Surely you install as many cameras in as many positions as it takes, to allow the range limit of one to meet the range limit the neighbouring one, otherwise the whole system has little purpose unless as a minimally effective visible deterrent.

Personally I agree with Trout, that cameras on the street will simply displace the problems they are supposed to prevent elsewhere, where, by default, would mostly be places which there's considerably less chance of them being detected/witnessed.

Cameras *might* reduce the incidences of damage to the actual fixtures on the street, shopfronts etc, but as far as I am aware that kind of thing is a lesser problem that say 25-30 years ago, when shop window(s) were broken on a near weekly basis for a lot of the time.