1. 1. Which party do you vote for?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Lib Dem
    • Greens
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • BNP

You certainly are in the minority JAS, I cannot imagine there are many that read academic journals on a regular basis, infact I cannot think of anything worse. With your last post, you havev more than certainly proved you are fighting a losing battle, as correcting someones grammar and spelling is usually the last resort for someone in such a discussion. In fact you are in danger of coming across as one of those pretentious and condesending academic types.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot imagine there are many that read academic journals on a regular basis, infact I cannot think of anything worse.

You say that as if enlightenment is something to be avoided.

losing battle

But there was never a 'battle' to begin with?

Not at all, I had to read many academic journals for my degree, something that was essential, but not something I particularly enjoyed. I would imagine that most people would not regularly, if at all, pick up an academic journal for some light reading. Not actually all that sure where you get the idea that I think that "enlightenment" should be avoided.

It gets better, you are picking me up on my choice of words? Ok, perhaps "battle" was a poor choice, but its a turn of phrase, nothing more.

You were trying to pick apart max's point, but didn't actually do anything to back up your own other than to point out you read academic journals, woopdeedoo for you! :roll:

Me being described as "a minority" effectively ended whatever 'battle' was occuring, because its true. I didn't feel the name to pick apart any argument because whatever war I was allegedly waging against Max's point was ended, hence the jokey grammatical post.

Oh, and I never suggested that academic journals were to be treated as 'light reading'.

What a big subject!

Just the other day I was trying to have a debate with what you might call a Russian version of BNP, but with people throwing the term racist around whenever they spoke, this proved difficult to get at the root of any issues..

For many years, or is it decades now.. our political party choices have been less than ideal, and the BNP address issues which the common person has concerns about which the majority of the other parties tend to avoid talking about. (Whenever they do, they seem to get into trouble for it and don't last long in their post..)

The amount of immigration appears to be an issue, if the rate was slower, I imagine we wouldn't really notice.

If the housing, benefits and asylum situation was less easily taken advantage of, that too would make the majority of people happier.

And governments do see the advantage of cheap imported labour that only work for 50p an hour and don't complain about poor working conditions..

Is it possible to have a party that can address these issues and not be classified as racist ?

I used to think it was, but recently, it seems you cannot actually talk about the issues in most places without being accused of racism, and thus any hope of addressing issues is masked behind a wall of silence.

Politics reminds me of a South Park episode, explained here for example:

http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/kaercher/kaercher1.html

Why do we have the BNP ? because we didn't vote for someone better.. but if there isn't anyone better, then that could explain it..

But todays political climate, its really looking like its just not possible to present a party which could do better because we have boxed ourselves into a corner, at least publicly.

Of course it is perfectly reasonable to say that it is wrong for foreigners to come into the UK to take away our jobs and our housing. Of course "foreigners" must mean all foreigners and not just those with dark skin and of course "our" must include all British citizens including those with dark skin or religious beliefs that differ from the main Christian religions. Perhaps that is why my views differ from those of the BNP.

As for whoever said that asylum seekers who manage to travel via lots of safe European countries before arriving in Britain are seeking more than a simple place of safety is of course correct. Can hardly blame asylum seekers with family in the UK or other connections to the UK for wanting to come here. What we need is a Europe wide system where asylum seekers must claim asylum at their point of entry to the EU and can then state a desired final destination.

Just to put a different slant on it; of all the folk who resent immigrants, illegal or otherwise, from being in this country, what are your views on British people living abroad?

Should we be banished to the country of our birth forever more?

What about, for instance, all the people who retire to Spain. They're not really 'putting anything into' the local economy, but live quite happily there with minimal fuss.

Is it just a case of 'not in my country thanks', but it's OK for us to live wherever we British want anywhere in the world?

what are your views on British people living abroad?

no different to people wanting to live in this country..if you can't support yourself, at least untill you can get a job there, Don't do it!

Then there's the integration within communities, if you emmigrate somewhere live as they live, don't force your beliefs/lifestyle on them.

And at the very least, try and speak the lingo.(our ex.pats are not setting the best example of this either)

Australia has strict rules for migrants - no dole nor free health (except emergencies) for at least 2 years. If they choose to come here, they pay their own way. And they are largely happy with that - you never hear any complaints, as they are genuine migrants. Unfortunately the UK has lowered the bar to such a low level, and taxpayers will have to foot the bill, not to mention the general degradation of society caused by free loaders.

- Mark T, Sydney, Australia.

why can't we have a system like this?

It's fair, it's not stopping anyone from comming into the country and it doesn't upset the population by making them think they are paying for people to come here and stay.