South Mainland Up Helly Aa

SouthMainlandUpHellyAa

Could have stuck a sign next to the cran o it and called it a SMUHA exhibition?

Some folk noted the mess, some folk explained the schedule for clearing it up, end of.

QED.

Any speculation into motives, perspectives or lacking responsibilities are just that and anything more than that is really just inflammatory.

Can we not just accept that we all know what happened and who's doing what now and be done with it?

Next time, if quick removal isn't an option: " Here lies the good ship....." Tourists, vikings, naturalists happy.

:wink:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's somewhat ironic that hundreds of years after the vikings existed, famed for their violent raids, raping, pillaging and general lawlessness, in a modern day celebration of their existence, the most rebellious act we can manage is to 'apparently' leave some litter on the beach.

Ahhh....but this was just the first year. There's always the opportunity to up the ante on the plundering and pillaging in years to come.

I might even be persuaded to join in, then all hell will break loose. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Guest don't know

Someone has obviously taken note that people were not pleased by the mess left lying around from the SMUHA, because I see that the trailers and brucks of the boat have now been removed from the beach carpark. The remaining torch heads have been gathered together, and they are now lying beside the car park, although i wonder if they might be waiting to get uplifted with the voar redd up stuff or something!

:)

Sorry to disappoint you, don't know (such an appropriate user name) but the fact of the matter is that after a committee meeting on Friday it was agreed that members would meet on Sunday to prepare the final removal and disposal of SMUHA related material.

So the anonymous pleepsing on this forum has had no effect whatsoever.

Finally, if you wish to find out if the remaining torch heads are awaiting uplift with voar redd up stuff...why don't you ask one of the committee members?

Guest don't know

Sorry to disappoint you,...

Firstly please don't apologise, im not dissapointed!

So the anonymous pleepsing on this forum has had no effect whatsoever.

I can't remember stating anywhere that this particular forum did have an effect and i do not care how the decision was eventually made to finish the clearing up! The point is that it's been done after a month and that's fine but its taken a while!

Also, I do not wish to know any more about the torch heads or SMUHA in general!

End of.

To try and be serious for a minute, in a case such as this where there are obvious "leftovers", I would tend to agree with what EM said earlier, they're as interesting to see as the "before" and "during" parts of the event. Leaving them close by for a "reasonable" period for anyone like me, who has "rubber necking" tendencies to give them the once over seems like a good idea to me. Maybe the solution here is to take Njugle's suggestion of signposting it as such, for the benefit of those who do not understand, or perhaps do not appreciate such things.

I don't think a month goes outside what can be termed a "reasonable" length of time, for anyone that wants a looksee to do so. Certainly I would agree it should be gone before it begins to disappear among the girse, and before legions of touries and bairns descend on the place and start tripping over it and playing with it, but any of that is at the very least is a month away yet.

@Oddrun, I might just. The contents of these last few pages will surely inspire some squad to put together an appropriate act for next year. :lol:

Guest don't know

Hang on...I could nearly agree with ghostrider here about leaving the galley there for a peerie start for folk to have a look even although i have been against it so far! The idea of leaving it to the side for a couple of weeks seems reasonable, because i could see how people might find it interesting, as long as people knew what it was there for and how long. I know it seems like like im going back a bit on what i've already said, however i still don't agree that bruck like torch heads and bits of burnt wood should have been left strewn all over the sand and the galley thrown up on the broo in a heap.

If this was to be done, it would need to be set up as neatly as possible, maybe signposted and the rest of the place cleared up properly and quickly so as it was just a display of the wreck left and nothing else.

:oops:

... i could see how people might find it interesting

Indeed.

I think that the analogy of sport diving is instructive. Many divers are into the biology, whereas for others their interest is with diving on wrecks and other artificial features. The two genres are of course non-exclusive as wrecks attract biology. I've dived at the most exotic locations with manta rays, giant turtles etc., but I have to confess that the most stunning thing I ever saw underwater was artificial.

I know it seems like like im going back a bit on what i've already said, ...

A very laudable trait, though rare nowadays.

... it would need to be set up as neatly as possible, maybe signposted

Hmmm... sounds a bit sugar-coated. But if you insist, here you are:

http://www.erik-moncrieff.com/misc/BurntGalleySMUHA.jpg

:wink:

• 2 months later...