South Mainland Up Helly Aa

SouthMainlandUpHellyAa

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Very little is mentioned about women in the Viking sagas, though when they are women are often depicted as wise, sneaky, vengeful, or untrustworthy. Over the years popular culture has depicted Norse women as medieval English women, cone-breasted opera singers, or horned sex goddesses. Instead of these fantasies, Norse actually women took care of hearth and home and kept the farm while their men folk were away. These women were quite average medieval women, except they did possess some added power."

Your lungs might be black after all this smoking ;)

"Female vikings

Could women be Vikings?

Well, could women be Shetlanders?

Strictly speaking, they could not. The Old Norse word víkingar is exclusively applied to men,,,,,

That term was applied to the Norse traders who explored the North Atlantic, and areas further south, but since their women mostly traveled with them it's difficult to say if that word applies to the people in general, ( The Vikings who went) or just the men.

I also thought vikings rode by longship, not on flying horses.

UHA is based entirely on mythology, a flying horse is part of that mythology, so what's the problem?

Stick that up your ass and smoke it :)

Nope, I prefer to take my Mary Jane orally. :lol:

"Very little is mentioned about women in the Viking sagas, though when they are women are often depicted as wise, sneaky, vengeful, or untrustworthy. Over the years popular culture has depicted Norse women as medieval English women, cone-breasted opera singers, or horned sex goddesses. Instead of these fantasies, Norse actually women took care of hearth and home and kept the farm while their men folk were away. These women were quite average medieval women, except they did possess some added power."

Pleas go and do some reading.... :lol:

Did women lead vikings into battle ...

Some actually did when given the chance.

...or did they stay at home and do the cooking?

Well, on that topic it is perhaps worth noting that cooking is certainly something which features regularly on the agenda in St Sunniva Street. Some excellent nosh-ups in the galley shed throughout the year.

As I've said before, the idea of trying to equate country UHAs with Lerwick is futile. They are obviously related, but fundamentally different on so many levels. Both are essentially complementary, but have quite different requirements.

The main issue regarding Lesley is whether or not she will rise to the task of being a good and effective Jarl. Many people, including some who aspire to be Jarls themselves, do not realise how demanding the role is in terms of community "meet and greet" people skills. I believe she will prove to be particularly good at this, and will be memorable as a great Jarl rather than just for being a female Jarl.

It has been interesting to contemplate the appropriate term for a female Jarl. Having looked into the matter I discovered that the female equivalent of an Earl in English is a Countess. The archaic Norse for Countess turns out to be Jarlsfrú, or similar.

There are many women in Viking mythology.

Eagor, the wife of Aegir, Angrboda, mistress of Loki, Frigg or Frigga or Fricka, Jarnsaxa, Thors wife, Gunnlod, daughter of Odin, the Valkyrie, the three catigories of men, borne of Edda, Amma, Snor, Modir, Erna. Syignyn, Lokis wife, Luonnotar who gave birth to Vainamoinen, Audhumla, the primeval cow, Gullfaxi, the Golden Mare.

The Finns had Meilikki, Tuulikki, Tuonetar and Tytto (Goddess of Illness)

Some braver than the male