Road salt shortage

PJ of Hildisvik

I found it very amusung yesterday that the Scot Gov asked Shetland if it could hand back some road salt cos they are short of the stuff.

Bloody cheek considering we probably won't get anymore this winter, and only have at best 15 days to grit light icing or 8 days for Snow.

We usually get our heaviest snow in March in to April, so looks like we are knackered then.

We will be using just grit instead it seems :roll:

And i found it ironic this morning on radio Orkney that they were gloating at the "praise" heaped on them by the Scot Gov for giving them some of their salt and portraying how councils can work together in times of need :wink:

Seems we are not popular then..GOOD!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed the name-calling, to be fair.

The thing I totally fail to understand, nationally, about this whole subject is why are all these reporters standing on icy roads claiming 'disaster' and appeals going out for salt to be sent back and not once, anywhere, ever, have I seen anybody say "use snow chains or studs, it works for the rest of the civilised world".

It would, of course, be the end of many a news item, but why are the police and authorities not encouraging their use? There are other countries with far more snow where it is an offence NOT to have them. Even here (UK) a member of my family bought a set on the off-chance in one of the worst affected areas and sure enough got stuck, put on the chains and drove off without further drama.

Could have done with them clearing some of the pathways outside of the Lerwick area. The path to our local shop has been a death trap since the snow first came down. A lot of local residents using the shop have no option other than to walk there, or detour on to the main road which has no pavement and icy roads. Its a skating rink down its entire length, challenge enough for the able and fit a nightmare for those with small kids or the elderly. A quad distributing grit down the path would have helped but absolutely nothing done. :evil:

In support of Njugle, what you've got on the wheels of your vehicle can make a massive difference. While it's difficult to get the old-style metal studded tyres nowadays, a decent set of snow tyres are a big help. Snow chains will give you huge amounts of grip in severe conditions, but will shake your car to pieces in conditions of light snow/ice when you can drive at any sort of decent speed, so potentially lots of grovelling around in the snow to put them on and take them off is required. I would second the statement that the use of snow tyres should be actively promoted.

Also, many people are simply crap at driving in snow and on ice, which, of course, need different driving techniques. Advanced driving courses in this neck of the woods should include instruction on these.

Lastly, if you're not confident/competent in these conditions, you should stay at home.