The next Chief Executive

JustMe

After the spectacular failure of the council's last attempt to recruit a Chief Executive and, without apportioning blame for that, perhaps we could use this forum to offer up some hints about how to choose a suitable candidate.

So having said that I guess I ought to start. I would be looking for a candidate with experience in local government and one who was wanting to jump a couple of steps on the career structure by moving to a relatively small council with some extra responsibilities compared to councils on the mainland.

I would want to know how the candidate and their family (if any) felt about moving to Shetland and I would expect them to have gained a reasonable knowledge about Shetland before interview. Also I might well look positively on a candidate who came from or had worked in an island community.

Now it could be that the ideal candidate is not available at the moment or somehow missed the advert so I might well be thinking that unless the whole council was convinced they had the right person rather than the best one of those who applied then might well be thinking if the council could offer the best candidate a fixed term contract for a year or so which would limit the costs of getting rid of anyone unsuitable.

And having said all that I could still get it wrong.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paulb posted this on The New Chief Executive thread the day after David Clark was appointed.

then we will wait and see. if im proved wrong it means we get a decent service if your proved wrong were screwed.

Guess you were right paulb. :lol:

Who do you think would be a suitable new Chief Executive ?

1, must have experience in a similar level. with a proven track record.

2. must have an understanding of small local councils and the politics involved.

3. must be qualified in some personnel/ communication skill.

4. must have amazing professional refs. not from mates.

5. the decision must be made by someone with skills at interviewing at this level. maybe the council folks advisers could help.

With the selection of Clark and Reiter made by councillors in the past, maybe professionals should be brought in to interview and appoint the next holder of this post.

Although they mean well and have the best intentions, the councillors misjudgement is costing Shetland dearly

No doubt professional help may not come cheap, but it may be the best option in the long run given past performances.

With all of the councillors being involved with the appointment of Clark, you cannot help wonder if a smaller sharper interview/selection panel would have been more effective.

paulb wrote
1, must have experience in a similar level. with a proven track record.
Maybe this is a good point. Chief Executive of the SIC could suit an older person wanting to say goodbye to city life.

well would you employ a plumber on their first job. i think an older chilled out chief would be fine even for just a few years. the last thing we need now is another risky appointment. lets face it were not going to get the very best unless we pay 50k more but we only need a competent one. it seems we have problems managing that.

The sic has a lot of good people with track records working for it. A new chief out of the ranks would be best.
Is there a problem with this?. Tom, Dick and Harriet all being department heads or No 2s apply for the post of Chief Executive and Dick is selected. How comfortable will the failed candidates be working with someone who was once equal to them?. Just a thought but certainly a candidate from the SIC or from some other body in Shetland certainly ought to be considered.

On a more general matter:

Too often in the public sector (SIC/NHS) people "act up" in jobs for a long period of time and are then ousted in favour of someone from outwith the Isles because they have had more experience with SIC/NHS in another region. We then pay for these people to move up here who later decide that they or their family can't settle here.

If someone is already performing very well in the job, and are local, can we not add weight to that aspect in the recruitment process?