Nuclear Weapons

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will always be a little Hitler who wants to make the rest of the world

to conform to his control. Osam bin liner comes to mind

Anyone who straps semtex to little girls with learning difficulties

And there is always some one who would build a Nuk of one kind or another just for money

So unless you can get rid of human greed the world is stuck with them

I don't know how closely you follow the news, but in case you didn't know, Osama Bin Ladin attacked the USA on 11th September 2001, despite that country's enormous nuclear arsenal. There was quite a fuss about it at the time.

I don't know how closely you follow the news, but in case you didn't know, Osama Bin Ladin attacked the USA on 11th September 2001, despite that country's enormous nuclear arsenal. There was quite a fuss about it at the time.

Nukes don't necessarily deter terrorists because terrorists don't have a return address. But then again, terrorism from 1960's in the USA has killed less people than those who die in bathtub related incidents [John Mueller, CATO Institute], so we really exaggerate it and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Oh hi James

Dad here

Mams gone away on a school trip or something for 10 days

Fancy a run up to Lerwick to keep me company

Bit boring in the hoose on me own

Interesting viewpoint but I'm not convinced unilateral disarmament is truly feasible after the fall of the Soviet Union but you make a strong case.

Nukes don't necessarily deter terrorists because terrorists don't have a return address.

They didn't deter Argentina from invading the Falklands, either.

It doesn't prevent minor conflicts: Look at pakistan and india.

It prevents large scale conflict.

How do you define "large scale" ? The Vietnam War lasted 17 years, and cost the lives of 3 to 4 million Vietnamese, 1.5 to 2 million Laotians and Cambodians, and 58,159 U.S. soldiers (thank you, Wikipedia!). Obviously, neither the NVA, nor the Viet Cong, were deterred by the USA's nuclear arsenal.

The use of nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki certainly helped bring one large conflict to a timely end. Was their use really necessary? It would certainly seem so given that since there have only been smaller conflicts!

Nukes don't necessarily deter terrorists because terrorists don't have a return address.

They didn't deter Argentina from invading the Falklands, either.

It doesn't prevent minor conflicts: Look at pakistan and india.

How do you define "large scale" ? The Vietnam War lasted 17 years, and cost the lives of 3 to 4 million Vietnamese, 1.5 to 2 million Laotians and Cambodians, and 58,159 U.S. soldiers (thank you, Wikipedia!). Obviously, neither the NVA, nor the Viet Cong, were deterred by the USA's nuclear arsenal.

Oops, I should have stated large scale conflict between nuclear weapon possessing states.

Given that the NVA and the "reds" were primarily supported by the USSR (who had a developed nuclear arsenal at that time) but chose not to deploy them Evil Is point is very valid. Proliferation was probably the fear.

1945 was all one sided and 2-300 thousand people were annihalated atomically. The NVA didn't need nuclear because they were fighting at home. They couldn't have used nuclear missiles at home for a paltry 200 thousand Americans without untold destruction of their homeland and the USSR weren't "officially" in the war so they couldn't nuke the USA using intercontinental missiles. A no win situation from a nuclear standpoint. A costly non-nuclear conlict ensued.

Oops, I should have stated large scale conflict between nuclear weapon possessing states.