football league structure

BigTam

I both do, and don't understand dis.

Ness an' Whitedale's decision no tae compete in da A League dis year wus a farce. If dey had done so, wid any o dis been happenin'?

Penfold - Whit wus da official line fae Burra at da meeting? An' Unst's position has clearly swung fae wan extreme tae da idder ower da past couple o months!

As I say, I understand da concept behint da whole "shake-up", but fur somewhere wi a pool o players as peerie as Yell's, it's just goin' tae result in da club ceasin' tae exist, which is desparately sad.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magnus Malcolmson and Stuart Smith have often been accused of "not playing for Ness". The fact is they came from Quarff which has never been part of the Ness. The pair of them played for Lerwick Thistle from a very young age, and only later did they begin to turn out occasionally for Cunningsburgh in the Southern League, and Malcolmson did play for Ness for a couple of years. Leighton Flaws and Kieran Malcolmson, whoever he is, are a different proposition entirely. They are Ness boys and should be playing for their area. Frankly it is ridiculous to have Flaws signing for Delting, regardless of where he works.

Good point nobby. I've posted on here before about everyone slamming Smith and Malcolmson playing for Thistle. They've played there since they were 7/8 years old, which is the kind of loyalty that should be praised and held up as an example to others. You did make a mistake though as Flaws played for TSB all through his juvenile and junior football. Ness Utd did nothing for him when he was a youngster and deserve nothing in return.

Thankfully though Ness Utd seem to have sorted themselves out in recent years with regards to their junior and juvenile set up. This year's senior side did well and am sure will get better in the future. A strong side from the south mainland is not only in their own interests but that of Shetland football's.

Penfold - Whit wus da official line fae Burra at da meeting? An' Unst's position has clearly swung fae wan extreme tae da idder ower da past couple o months!

I dunna ken dey just said dat Unst, yell, burra, whitedale and ness utd were all going to step up, if i hear what burra said i'll let d ken.

as for nobbystiles and gaffers comment, in some ways your right as club we would welcome any player dat want to play for ness, but we would rather bring through players from our junior set up into the senior squad, while messers Flaws, M Malcolmson, and Smith would be a welcome addition to any squad, its a slap in the face for your junior players coming through from 18's to be kept out of their home team by as you rightly say players who have never played for Ness utd, we along with other clubs have some good players at junior level and are intent on making sure that they play for us in the Senior league that wont be achieved by drafting in players from other clubs for short term gain.

Spency, as far as the boys dat were at the meeting said, Unst stated dat they were going up on their own and were in no way contenplating joining with Yell but they thought it was'nt in Unsts interests, Burra said they were goin up but much the same idea it was'nt going to benefit the club and Yell the same, Whitedale and Ness Utd were both putting teams up, Ness would only have the one team though.

Is it completely unfeasable tae have Ness and Whitedale move up, but leave Unst, Yell and Burra in da B League where dey wid rather play?

Yell simply do not have da pool o players tae compete in A league fitba, an' we have a hard time encouraging youngsters tae come tae games at da best o times - How is dat goin' tae improve when we're gettin' thrashed 10-0 every week? It really is a total farce.

If the Association could get the structure set up so that there was a proper 1st and 2nd division then it would level itself out, but for next year all the clubs that have said they are going up will have to put the work in ower da winter training etc, and the ones that dont will be found out, and that goes for the players especially we've have been told dat wir training starts next week two seesions a week, and then three after the end o november, so there's nae excuse for us this time except lack o effort on an individuals part.

Lack of players is a hard one to overcome though and unless you can sign some over the close season then if what you say is true your going to struggle.

Is it completely unfeasable tae have Ness and Whitedale move up, but leave Unst, Yell and Burra in da B League where dey wid rather play?

The problem is that if the SFA let Unst, Yell and Burra stay in a lower league it sends out the wrong message to Ness and Whitedale. Most know that the table wil have a distinct spilt but what football table doesn't?

Next season Delting and Whalsay will battle it out for the league again (mmm, like Celtic and Rangers, Barcelona and Real Madrid, Chelsea and Man U, Alax and PSV etc), others may make finals and sneak a cup and the bottom places will be filled by Unst, Yell and Burra with Spurs, Ness United, Whitedale and Celtic swapping points just above.

What is wrong with that?

It will bring on younger players from the "leser" sides. Instead of Erik Thomson, John Robert Burgess, and many other good young players banging in goals in the reserve league they will have to work a little harder at thier games to compete against better players and that will help them and thier clubs in my opinion.

To many want to dwell on what they can't do or achieve with the "we'll get hammered every week" line. The glass is half full for folk sake!

Yell, Celtic, Ness United, Scalloway, Whitedale, Burra, Spurs and Unst will have to play each other twice in the premier league. I for one can see many points being dropped by those percieved as the big boys in that group.

Its a step forward. It was never meant to be a final fix and other changes will hepefully follow but give it a chance and cease with the why not and look at the why we can.

it is a bit of a farce that Yell are having to play in the A league when they struggled in the B league this season. One of their scores was Thistle B 8 Yell 1, so i dont see how putting them in A league will do them any good at all!

I hear that Thistle won't have a B team next year so 8-1 against the A team isn't so bad.

There you go then close season time and already there could be players looking for clubs.

I remember going to play delting when Ness entered the Senior league a few years back and we got humped 19-1, but the club is still here making progress, and in the fullness of time I hope to watch a Ness team hump Delting 19-1 because the feeling that we experienced after that defeat drives us on, knowing full well that if they can do it so can we, when Delting started in the Senior leagues first they got some big hidings too but see where they are today, they are the bench mark that everyone else has to beat.

it is a bit of a farce that Yell are having to play in the A league when they struggled in the B league this season. One of their scores was Thistle B 8 Yell 1, so i dont see how putting them in A league will do them any good at all!

I hear that Thistle won't have a B team next year so 8-1 against the A team isn't so bad.

well looks like the younger players of the A team, plus some juniors -

S. Henry; D. Mann, Ross Manson, A. Miller, S. Michael; C. Leask, S. Jamieson, K. Gifford, Richard Manson; N. Riddell, C. Gerty

who told you thistle wont have a B team next year?

Yell, Celtic, Ness United, Scalloway, Whitedale, Burra, Spurs and Unst will have to play each other twice in the premier league. I for one can see many points being dropped by those percieved as the big boys in that group.

It's all very well having these teams in the premier league but all the greater spread of players will do is make a strong Delting even stronger. They aren't losing anyone, even strengthening the team with the likes of Leighton Flaws. It is difficult to see past Delting for the next five or six years, and on top of what they have already achieved it is not a particularly healthy state for overall Shetland football.

This is exactly the point. How can it "drive us to improve" when we simply don't have the players?

Penfold was talking about Ness starting their training this week - All winter Yell are lucky to have more than 8 players show up at indoor training. Two or three of the others in the team spend their time on badminton and squash, and the rest (myself included) are at university. What young players there are were reluctant to come to B League games this season because they didn't want to take heavy beatings.

As for "sending the wrong message" to Ness and Whitedale - That's just rubbish. Ness and Whitedale have the quality, squads and training in place to be playing A League football, and they know it.

People always make the same old point about Delting: "They started off getting hammered every week and look at them now!" Well give us an all-weather pitch, double our population and then we'll try our hardest.

Nonsense.