Old swimming pool in Scalloway

Styles

I just minded today when someone was speaking about outdoor swimming pools that old minging swimming pool that used to be outside in Scalloway.

Whos idea was that! It was right beside the sea.

I just remember it being minging with dead birds etc in it, never saw anyone use it.

Dont think with public saftey you would get away with it nowadays!

It was great, wasn't it. It only really came into its own at regatta time when they held the swiming races and "greasy pole" competitions there. They were a good laugh.

Between times it was rarely warm enough to risk it, but it did get used regularly in the summer holidays.

A greater source of fascination perhaps was catching fish, crabs and lobsters in the harbour and slipping them in it to gluff the unaware. I remember once someone putting dogfish in it! A veritable shark infested pool, brilliant.

Oh yeah, and HUGE sea slaters!

I also remember someone trying to cross the ice on it in winter and falling through, dodgy indeed!

Then, of course, there was the particular old Scallowa character who would offer bairns money to jump in the pool :? all seemed pretty harmless, but if anyone did that nowadays it woulds be treated with the utmost suspicion. Changed days indeed.

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

there were two pool a deep one and a paddlin pool, did hear about some of scalaways elite soup dragons all lying on the bottom of the paddlin pool, totally submeged and breathing through straws after a heavy day on the sauce at the hotel... those scalawa dudes sure know how to party!

sat wir bronze medallion in the Scalloway pool, because it wis a rivin' gale and too rough at da waarie geo. Bloody cold too. One o wir squad had the first signs o hypothermia after an hour................................could hardly keep your feet wi the slime and the sides were coorse on your belly when your "rescuer" tried to pull you oot. Never went there again.

• 3 weeks later...

brings back memories of paddlin efter an open air do in the fraser park. most hiv been a good night, fur we took aff wir docs an geed in wi sock feer an lived tae tell da tale!

it's aa comin back noo - we wir drinkin some dubious concoction aquired fae da wine shop caa'd vampire wine dat tasted o walnuts... I kept dat bottle fur years efter, mainly as a warnin fae my liver...