Doing up old croft house: Where to buy windows, doors?

Trout81

I'm been wondering is if anyone has done up their home recently and if they have any advice where to buy made to measure Windows, external doors, kingspan, loft insulation plasterboard etcetera, I need to know where is giving best deals & quality, I'm also interested if anyone has got windows from south or any other materials and got it shipped up,

the stuff I'm needing are as follows

11 windows made to measure biggest is 1480 long and 1220 high

the rest are about half the size

2 external doors

30 sheets of plasterboard

22 sheets of kingspan

50 lengths of 2†by 3†rough 4.8 meter lengths

I have been doing up an old croft house but I havent had to get windows and doors, but most of the other stuff I have been getting from Hays, Kingspan, plasterboard ect. also what I was advised to do was doubble up 25mm kingspan insted of using 50mm kingspan, put the first layer inbetween the dwangs that you screw the plasterboard.

at that number see if you can get a job lot from a mainland company. i think our companies may prove exensive.
Why not see what prices the locals suppliers come with first?!

Hay's or the Building Centre are your best bet for plasterboard, Kingspan, wood etc and they'll deliver. Get a quote from each.

I can recommend Bulter and Mulhern for the windows and doors. They can send someone to measure them up - very handy if there all different non-standard sizes

It's worth getting in touch with Shetland Heatwise as they'll be able to help out and advise on insulation/Kingspan - http://www.shetland-communities.org.uk/shwise/

Kingspan or foil lined plasterboard is another option, particularly if there's the potential of damp/sweat on the internal walls. You can fit Kingspan between the dwangs and cover it with lined plasterboard

i am currently doing up my bedroom which is in an old house i am using 50mm kingspan, (doubled up on the external walls) and foilback plasterboard on the external walls and celing, using plain on the other two walls. all the materials i have got come from hays, i doubt that a south company will be able to match the price especially with the shipping cost involved, another thing is you will probably have a struggle returning the plasterboard if it comes damaged as it so often does

as has been said bulter and mulhern are the best for windows and doors, they can make them to absolutely any size you want and the quality is very good, are you going to be fitting the windows and doors yourself?? as for prices the window that i am getting is about 1200x800 and i have been told i am likely to pay about £300 for the window alone, i will be fitting it myself.

its worth while giving one company a call for a quote then try another company.whoever gives the best deal say to the higher quote company the offer you got somewhere else and 9 times out of 10 they will better the cheapest quote. p.s you will need written quotes for proof to other company but ever little bit saved helps.

wilfred (wippie) clark, mid yell does real hardwood double glazed windows and doors at a good price. also fits the windows and doors for free!

Garriock bros for the windows they will make the glass to size for you in the island, all other companys ship up glass and breakages are often common (can lead to delays esp is special sizes etc)

so worth getting a quote from the glass centre, also have the window center who make the frams etc to whatever size.

would def get the insulation shipped up i found it a lot cheaper south

at that number see if you can get a job lot from a mainland company. i think our companies may prove exensive.
Why not see what prices the locals suppliers come with first?!

Spot on, I priced up my sisters loft conversion with companies from down here and from DITT and LBC in Shetland and DITT were a fair bit cheaper and they had everything in stock for next day delivery the best delivery dates I could get from south suppliers would have been almost a week.