Cyclists on the road

momo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned some very valuable lessons while approaching/slowly following cyclists. I am very afraid of meeting them - twice I have stalled following along behind or trying to overtake in the wrong gear. Imagine my fear when I left Lerwick the other day in the dark and met a cyclist! I am pleased though that I remained calm and did everything correctly. However, I am aware that sometimes I drive slower than more experienced drivers and a queue may form behind me. I pull over and let people pass. I wish cyclists would offer the same courtesy when there is a steady stream of traffic in the oncoming lane and someone is travelling along behind them at 10 mph to just let folk pass.

Not up here, but 'sooth' I've been forced off the road by passing cars and lorries and my brother was knocked of his bike by a wing mirror in the head off a lorry. Also cut up by plenty of cars at junctions. It's no joke.

you'll find cyclists ride 2 a breast at times to prevent them being forced in to the gutter by cars that won't slow and wait to get past.

The verges are generally full of all sorts of puncture and crash inducing garbage. Cycle lanes on out of town roads are generally a joke, a place where all the detritus of road crashes etc. gets swept

Just feel sorry for the poor sod cycling in the winds we have instead of slating them... and give them some space

Could be, but it's better than being knocked off or 'blown off' by a close passing car or lorry.

To be fair we used to go single file unless the road was quiet, but that is why people often do it, other than for a 'chat'.

Wish I was still up to cycling like I used to, but prefer off-road anyway, more fun 8)

Must say I side with the cyclist. We all have the right to use the road.

I should also say that I think I mind it said in the highway code that if you are slowing down traffic you should pull over and let it past. If the cyclists would do that and wear enough high vis and lights it would do a lot to help their cause.

Advice from the Institute of Advanced Motoring

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cyclistsclaimyourlanesaysiam.html

Basically cyclists should take "primary" position where they need to in order to be safe.

Otherwise takes "secondary" position.

Primary position is the middle of the lane, secondary position is roughly the nearside wheeltrack.

It's not advised to go any closer to the edge of the road than that, as it puts you out of the line of sight of drivers and can encourage cars to squeeze past without pulling out to give enough space when there is on-coming traffic.

The safe position to take on the road does not have that much to do with what is convenient for drivers, but don't hold them up unnecessarily.

My note for cyclists - get decent front and rear lights and use them day and night at this time of the year.

Admirable eco friendly people who we should aspire to or total pain in the neck accidents waiting to happen?

You missed out the bit about people just wanting to go somewhere who have organised their lives in a way that means that they don't have to rush around like lunatics, can enjoy the scenery and get some healthy exercise.

Afraid I lean towards the latter. It’s ok in town where cyclists are going at a similar speed to the cars but a recipe for disaster on the main roads especially at this time of year.

I don't ride my bike at this time of year, far to dangerous particularly as a LOT of petrol heads have an inbuilt 'look at that silly cyclist' attitude.

I'm afraid that your claim of 'leaning towards the latter' suggests to me that you need to re-sit your driving test.

As others have pointed out, cyclists have just as much right as anyone to use the roads.

The only "accident waiting to happen" are the people who don't give them the courtsey and space they need. It's amazing how you will see people trying to overtake a cyclist on the same side of the road because there is oncoming traffic. How would they feel if a couple of artic's did the same to them?

I could list at least 5 dozen incicents of this type from just this summer alone..

Best/Worst was riding cycling up the Mill Brae into Scalloway with a lot on oncoming traffic towards me. Unfortunately, there was a queue of traffic approaching from behind me and, despite the narrow road, each and every one of them insisted on overtaking me and, each and every one of them came closer than the last.

Originally, I was about 18" from the kerb. I ended up being forced off the road altogether...

Why don't impatient motorists give a little 'toot' on their horns to let you know that they are about to do something pretty stupid?

(PrettyStupid = 50-60mph up a hill with a known 30mph speed limit at the top whilst trying desperately to overtake a cyclist into the face of oncoming traffic that was accelerating down the hill to similar speeds)

if they weren't so far up thier own rears they might shift over n let the cars through, i used to work on the roads n know fine well the verges everywhere are perfectly sound , everybody else that practices a sport doesnt do it in amongst the wheels of busses n trucks

More rubbish..

The verges, in my experience, are completely unsuitable for cycling as they are mostly rough harcore that will ruin a modern wheel in no time at all.

As for not letting cars through. That too is rubbish. I, and most others I have seen, always ride very close to the edge of the road in order to let other (faster) road users through.

The biggest problem is the huge number of motorists who think that a cyclist only needs 6" of road.

Do you honestly think that a cyclist wants to 'go play with the traffic'?