Which browser do you prefer?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you prefer?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Safari (Mac)
    • Other

Just a peerie note to find out whit aabody thinks about the pros and cons of different internet browsers.

I see from the statistics in the modules menu (on the left o this page) that most people are using the almost obligatory Internet Explorer. I presume thats because it came pre-installed with windows. I can't help but think that Microsoft should have come up with something a lot better by now. Its looking a bit dated, and its Mac support is shocking (now there's a surprise!)

I think Firefox is the best of the browsers I've tried. My favourite feature is the 'tabbed browsing', so you don't have tons of different pages open at once. The interface is slick and the performance speedy, and it works equally as good on Mac or PC. Its also possible to change 'themes' so you can customise the look, if that's your bag.

As far as the Mac goes, Safari, the default browser, is good but a bit basic. I tried Opera on me mac, but it was a bit flakey. What's it like on the PC, anyone?

Onyhoo, over to you

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use the Norwegian built Opera browser instead of Internet Explorer when running Windows for it's excellent tabbed browsing. However, since about 5.something and up it's gone down in my opinion as it's CSS support has left something to be desired! They seem to be off on a tangent of their own.

Firefox has to be about the best out there at the moment in my opinion and is equally as good on Linux as it is on Windows - something which is not the case with any of the other browsers. The good 'ol Mozilla browser on Linux is a nice hark back to the yesteryear of Netscape.

If you're into KDE then the Konqueror browser is a nice standard bolt-on ... but I'd still have to say Firefox is my top choice.

yadUK

• 2 weeks later...
IE. Firefocks is slow.

I have to disagree. Firefox has had problems with memory leaks but a lot of these are related to the extensions/plugins that people load.

Firefox renders pages considerably faster than Internet Explorer and consistantly stays within the W3C guidelines. Something that Internet Explorer has never done.

You have to remember that a good chunk of Internet Explorer loads with Windows and is already running in memory when you boot the machine. There is an extension available for Firefox (forget the name) that does much the same thing. It loads in the core components at boot time so that they don't have to be loaded when you open Firefox. If you are using your browser on a regular basis then it would be worth trying it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Avant browser which is one of the "improved" internet explorer browsers. Experimenting with Firefox and Opera (the free no adds version) and also trying out K-meleon--I think that is a Linux browser changed to work with windows.

Have to admit the non microsoft browsers work well and perhaps are faster except for the initial loading. Avant Browser I like because it lets me set my search engine to Google UK.