Sports Results

david

Hello.

If your holding a sporting event of any kind over the summer, or take part/help/organise in some form of league in any sport I'd appriciate if you could get in touch.

I'm trying to compile weekly sports news for Radio Shetland, and any results would be helpful.

Either PM me on here or e-mail davidrlewis@gmail.com

Plus does anyone know how I can get proper football results? At the moment (despite efforts) I am failing!

Thanks,

David

David, your football problem probably has a simple explanation but no easy answer.

Sports reporting is done by volunteers (I used to do some football) and often takes hours a week. Collating results and reports etc, then getting that submitted to the paper on time is a time consuming task. Doing it twice would be pain.

Wheesht,

You know what would make sense? Having played in the Fife Amateur League (probably more organised than up here). They created a website which you could submit match reports to. Obviously, one member from each team would be responsible for this. This would save issues to do with sharing information....

The Times could get at it along with everyone else - no need for sending e-mails around. It's not exactly a hard thing to do either..

You would obviously have the score, scorers, MoM perhaps and the actual report. Then you could generate the league tables from that....

It amazes me there is no such thing for Shetland footy.

Wheesht,

You know what would make sense? Having played in the Fife Amateur League (probably more organised than up here). They created a website which you could submit match reports to. Obviously, one member from each team would be responsible for this. This would save issues to do with sharing information....

The Times could get at it along with everyone else - no need for sending e-mails around. It's not exactly a hard thing to do either..

You would obviously have the score, scorers, MoM perhaps and the actual report. Then you could generate the league tables from that....

It amazes me there is no such thing for Shetland footy.

Getting result was sometimes hard enough never mind that.

Does the Shetland FA not have any kind of Press Secretary?

I'm astounded (and a bit peeved) when listening to SIBC in the morning and the 'local' sports news comes on with nary a mention of the previous night's Men's football results.

At least the ladies have theirs up to speed.

Again lads its a question of people and quantity and VOLUNTEERS.

There is no comparison. The women might have two games a week while the men have from 12-16 fixtures to deal with. Arranging those fixtures, which inevitably change, parks, referees, collating results, scorers, tables, changing draws, altering kick-offs, discipline, suspensions, getting forms back from referees, etcetebloodyra...

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't be getting the info out, if they can, but as is becoming the case in Shetland more and more often, the few who do things get slated for what they do by people who actually do nothing (not you Maywick Maroon) voluntarily for other people.

I have been involved in local senior football before and it is increasingly difficult to get anyone to stick their head above the parapit because it WILL get knocked off by people who moan endlessly but do NOTHING about it.

If those who moaned put there hands up at a meeting then all these little (aye right) jobs would be done to perfection wouldn't they.

So, Mr Lewis if you are so interested in sport and particullary in the biggest one football, then get your bahooty along to the next SFA meeting and volunteer. I know they will be delighted to have you on board

Rant over, that is all.

Wheehst is right, check the back of sports pages of the shetland Times and there are nearly always a bit about a home team not submitting a report, one in team seems to have lost the will to submit reports altogether, it dosnt take take long to put a few lines together along with the scorers and send it in!

In reply to some of the questions/problems posed on this thread:

1. The SFA do indeed have a press secretary, get in touch with them to find out details.

2. In accordance with the SFA guidelines the home team are responsible for communicating the result to the press secretary by either sending a text or an e-mail to the press secretary.

3. It is the home teams responsibility to submit a match report to the press secretary by wednesday evening at the latest.