dead/dying seabirds

crofter

Interesting story here

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2011/March/news/Mystery%20bird%20deaths%20at%20Nesbister.htm

The past couple of weeks, I have seen 4 or 5 different scarfs standing in fields, or on the road, one was at least 100 metres away from the beach. Something I never saw before, in fact I never saw one on dry land unless it was drying its wings or nesting in the banks. All looked in bad shape. One was facing down a shetland pony but seemed on its last legs. Any explanations? I am guessing they are starving?

I would tend to agree, the very early hard winter immediately before the boats were ashore for Christmas did them no good, and now this recent long run of heavy weather has tipped the weakest over the edge. Catching fish in the sea that was running the other week and longer had to be a near non-starter.

I would tend to agree, the very early hard winter immediately before the boats were ashore for Christmas did them no good, and now this recent long run of heavy weather has tipped the weakest over the edge. Catching fish in the sea that was running the other week and longer had to be a near non-starter.

hopefully "in by the bay" the scarves are fareing better. Ive not been off for far too long to have a look, but yes theres been plenty a sea runnin for them for a braa while

Hmm, dey wir a news item on da Faroese news Portal.fo aboot a week and a half ago aboot a roog o skarfs gaddered and standing on da shoreline in Leirvik an folk were all going doon for a look.

So, maybe it is connected tae nature?. Either way, I think GR has hit da nail on da head.

Incidentally, da Faroese name is skarvur.

It is quite obvious these birds have been poisoned!

Not the first time?

Would you care to offer an explanation of how you came to this conclusion.

I can only assume that you have had the dead birds sent to a lab to have them tested for toxins, or you have just jumped to a conclusion due to factors that you have imagined.

Aa da scarfs died o shock whan dey heard dat yon Hugh Fernie-Whityoumaycaahim wis stopping da haaf-men fae owsin da smaa fish ower da side.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spaekin sense thou. Hits mebbe no sae far aff idda mark idder. If dey whyte ballin dead fish aboot igyen, hit'll mebbe do da fish popalation guid (an fatten mair dwyned selkies), bit hit'll be siccar upoa da bits o' birds its gotten uised ta scoopin up dir brakfist an dennir aff idda scruif.

Working away at the Kiln Cafe yesterday when a customer mentioned that we had 2 birds in the mens toilets, went for a look and low and behold it was 2 scarf's, never seen them this close before and could hardly believe my eyes. Even though we are right at the sea we only see them from afar.............very strange.