Sign on Da Thule

marlin13

Should the Thule be allowed to keep its sign?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Thule be allowed to keep its sign?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont care

The sign, apparently, was deemed "inappropriate" by Planning, for a "Conservation Area".

Can anybody suggest what exactly it is they're conserving. Unless for the back or Stove & Smith's, where the Peerie Shop is, and possibly the North of Scotland office, everything from the head of the pier to the fort along the Esplanade is post 1960's built, or at least so beggared around with, the "original look" is very hard to find among the "alterations".

MacKays's, the glass walled bank, Harry's most recent extension, and thon abortionate monstrosity of a bus shetler next to where the owld pish huis wis, were the final nails in the coffin of ensuring there was nothing of "old image" worth hanging on to.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real reason why the Council want this sign taken down is that probably many of the sailors from the Tall-Ships are likely to see this "Flashing T Sign" and think it may be a 'knocking Shop, wi Pole and Lap Dancing and a licence to sell as much drink as one can hold - you know sailors...

Changing it to T would probably be acceptable to the old Duffers "up on the hill', but not, I think, to Tenants...

I would also feel sure, that most of the signage seen all along the harbourfront doesn't conform in any way, with this idiotic planning rule.. :lol:

The 'T' sign above bothdoors lights up when dark until closing time. There was always a 'lit' sign above the door as posted before through the late 70's, 80's etc until the Thule's recent refurbishment.

If you look through Commercial St. you will see a few signs above shop premises that are 'lit' eg. Lloyds TSB, The Noost(both doors), The Camera Centre(I think) and The Thulecraft. Thats a few I can remember sitting here at the moment.

The street looks dull and unattractive due to the restrictions of the planning dept. It's time to look forward or at least start moving with the times.

The days the planners allowed the igloo that is the Loyds bank, Mackays and possibly Harrys new build were the days that they no longer can use the excuse 'but its a conservation area' for stopping issues like this that THEY don't want.

The owner of this establishment has already had run in's with planners over various works in the past, I believe that may have gone against him when they were sitting around the table!

Cheers[/b]

Went down for a look this morning and I cannot see what the fuss is about. Sign is smaller than it looks in the photo and really does not look at all out of place. Mind you if the planners aim is a trade off to allow the sign if the horrible paint is changed then I am all behind them but not otherwise. Then again we probably have planners who think T in the park is sponsored by Tetley tea bags.

I think that whoever owns the Thule these days ought to refuse to take it down, that Tennents should get involved and if our councillors continue with this stupid idea then the public should harass them over every little thing that is out of keeping with a conservation area. And yes the bus shelter would be a good thing to start with.

Perhaps they should really be looking to conserve the building identity that has become synonymous with Shetland throughout the north of Scotland and Scandinavia over several decades. "Toolie bar?" I've only been to Norway once, and yet it's identity was only matched by mention of "Shetland Lars" by the English speaking older generation I met.

Guest metallica man

Getting back to what i said about hand painted signs, here is a friend of mine that I've done some painting work for before, sign writing the local co-op of all places!

Where I'm from you can't put a sign up without permission from the local council illuminated or not!

Its a shame that the sic haven't clamped down on this long before as lots of parts of the town really look out of place because of the signage.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg390/rogerdadodger/wayne1.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg390/rogerdadodger/wayne2.jpg

The planning laws I speak of also include street furniture (bus shelters/bollards/benches etc)! Maybe the law is different in Scotland though?

^ The Co-op colours look nice.

Better than the grey granite that seems to be everywhere else.. :wink:

Wir talking Toon here :!:

Can you maybe just hear the mundane meeting wi da toing and froing arguments about all of this?

"Na, Na, we canna hae dis Red Flashing Sign, as it'll start tae look too much like Soho..

I geed dere, it was so aful, dat I hid tae geeng back fir a sicond look" :lol:

Pathetic....allow the Sign...

^^ Yes, the shocking pink paintwork is very dire, and the funky harl isn't much better. At least there's a nice bright red sign to detract from such eyesores though. :twisted:

Agreed Ghostie. the Purple is indeed 'Shocking'..

Anywhere else and it might be mistaken for a 'Gay Bar' 8)

The Lager is nice tho....

^^ Yes, the shocking pink paintwork is very dire, and the funky harl isn't much better. At least there's a nice bright red sign to detract from such eyesores though. :twisted:

Agreed Ghostie. the Purple is indeed 'Shocking'..

Anywhere else and it might be mistaken for a 'Gay Bar' 8)

The Lager is nice tho....

for a change i'm musing over the posts rather as saying anything, certainly good free advertising strategy

Generally, lager is the same in any bar except those who fail to clean their pipes, try ale, and not JS or Bel heaver.
Not so old chap, there is lager and lager (and even lager). Bog standard brands like Stella or Tennents, even with clean pipes, do not measure up to some of the better brews like Pilsner Urquell or some of the things from Brewdog and even they can be outclassed by cask lager like Schiehallion from Harviestoun.

Of course the best we can hope for in Lerwick is that Tesco or the Wine Shop get in some interesting bottled beer but once I set foot in Aberdeen or wherever the plane lands if I fly south then I embark on my own real ale festival with different ales in every town I stop in. Moorings in Aberdeen usually the last stop if I am coming back on the boat and last time I was away I got as far as the Star Inn, Crowlas (near Penzance). They brew their own beer at the back of the pub.

Possible idea for 2012 is to visit railway stations with a pub of the same name (Berney Arms, Portsmouth Arms and so on) but this is getting totally off topic and I still think the T on the Thule is OK and any councillors in my ward who think different will not be getting my vote next year.

You are right about lagers, some bottled Bavarian types are exceptional. Not brewed in the mass that they do at Samlesbury. The original Bud is far superior than the yanky version.

But if you are in a pub for beer then the pipes and glasses and the rest of the delivery system has to be maintained.

In London, and other places, the run down looking pub being the most popular.

Though golden ales are now around. These are to entice the larger drinker. Though IPA (Marstons Old Empire)

http://www.marstonsbeercompany.co.uk/img/old_empire.jpg

is one of the finest bottled IPAs' around.

Smooth stuff is rubbish but if no choice be had then Guinness. (as a shot of Tia Maria, you will be papillae happillae).