Sign on Da Thule

marlin13

Should the Thule be allowed to keep its sign?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Thule be allowed to keep its sign?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont care

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonny night.

Went for walk around Da Knab.

Come back in ta da esplanade fae Da Sooth End.

Cut doon between da Queens an da Tollbooth ta whit used ta be Da Sma Boat Harbour.

Whit a desecration.

There's that much decking that there's hardly any room for boats. Seats that don't look like seats waiting to break kneecaps when walked into. Who wants to sit and look at the traffic passing by the back of the Post Office? And as for that futuristic railing. Might look OK on Canary Wharf or Blackpool promenade but not in a prime conservation area. Planning must have been asleep when they rubber stamped this monstrosity.

Walk a 100 meters along the road to have a look at the red T which I'd never noticed before. Cant see what all the fuss is about.

But take a look at the cluster of satellite dishes on the side of the building.

How did that lot get past the planning Dept.?

I might be wrong, but I think that falls under harbour ground and as such LPA did not have to get planning permission?
Well they should have to get planning permission and if the law needs changing then the government should change it. Agree with Greenfingers about the satellite dishes.

Sorry, was talking about the small boat harbour, in case it wasn't clear.

Pretty sure they don't need planning permission for the "harbour works" i.e. the sea wall. How far inland of that they can work before they do need it I'm not sure. As far as the OP, then yes, it'd be needed.

Just out o curiosity, what ever came o da old thule sign? I would have thought with the age of it, there would have been more of a fuss from planning for that going walkabout than a tiny little T that no one really noticed...

Also, since when was that manky purple colour considered an appropriate colour for a building in the conservation area anyway?!!

Also, since when was that manky purple colour considered an appropriate colour for a building in the conservation area anyway?!!

It would appear to be the "business' colours" of JWG plc. --> http://shetlopedia.com/images/6/60/The_North_Star_-_Lerwick_-_Shetland_-_Shetlopedia.JPG. Just wait until they get around to doing the Graand an Wheens in the same style. :wink: