What to do with my disabled parents when they visit us

Hi.

we moved to Whalsay only a few months ago and haven't got round to much exploring yet. My parents are coming to visit in July and I want to have a list of ideas for days out. We have 2 children under 5 so I need things which would be good for them too. The main problem is both my parents are disabled. My mother can only walk short distances on crutches or she uses a scooter and my father can only manage a few metres on crutches or he uses an electric wheelchair. Other than the museum in Lerwick I don't have any idea of where would be suitable to take them, so would really appreciate some suggestions.

They've never been here before so even a scenic drive ending at somewhere nice (and accessible with parking) to eat would OK, although that presents another problem as my mother is coeliac so there would have to be something on the menu for her and of course something for the little ones. Also does anyone have any suggestions for suitable beaches to go to. My parents wouldn't manage the sand but if there was a beach with parking right next to the beach where there was perhaps a grassy area where my parents could sit and watch the girls playing on the beach that would be great.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think the Breiwick cafe in Eshaness is wheelchair accessible, with accessible toilet facilities (useful to know if you're on a long drive), and Eshaness is a very scenic area for a drive. You would have to phone ahead to check whether they could cater for a gluten free diet.

I would suggest Braewick too, they have a children's play area and great views. Phone 01806 503345 to check the menu - I'm sure Christina will be able to help.

Bonhoga has wheelchair access through the bottom cafe door, and to the middle floor from outside, access to the top floor is by stairs or chair lift. the children would like Michael's Wood in Aith which has lots of things to do among the trees and your parents should manage the grass paths, at least on the lower levels where the most attractive areas for the children are - pirate ship, teddy bears' picnic area, toy car play area, picnic benches, bird hide, , etc.

For beaches the Sumburgh beaches are easily overlooked with parking, the 2 bigger ones wither side of the airport and the one below Scatness which is small but right below the car park. St Ninian's Isle beach can be seen from the car park which is at one end of the beach, there is a cafe in Bigton too 01950 422 417. There is also the Sands of Sound in Lerwick which has a gate and wheel-friendly path across the grass - good for rock pools too!

The Shetland Access Guide online: http://www.shetlandaccessguide.org.uk/howtousetheAccessGuide.aspx

The Sumburgh hotel now has a proper ramp, and recently put in an accessible toilet too. I would recommend phoning the day before to request Gluten-free meals though.

The Chinese Restaurant - Baroc {Golden Coach} is fully accessible- there are 2 Disabled parking spaces below the Fort wall right opposite. I don't know about Gluten-free food- best to phone & ask.

Flames is fully accessible, but parking is difficult unless at night when the Viking Bus station is quite empty. Gluten-free? Phone ahead.

The Hoswick Visitor Centre in Sandwick is accessible - best to contact them too RE Gluten-free?

Cunningsburgh Hall is fully accessible for Sunday Teas - usually Gluten free stuff available, but not always... depends which group is fundraising that week?

The Mid Brae Inn is accessible - phone first RE Gluten-free?

Thanks ever so much for all the suggestions. They're all very useful.

Just got to hope that the weather's reasonably kind to us that week. Because of their progressive disabilities I don't suppose my parents will venture this far again so it'd be nice if they have some good images in their minds when they think of us all up here.

Needless to say if anyone else has any suggestions to add they'd be most welcome.

Thanks again

If it is their only visit here I think Scalloway has to be worth a look. Nice drive down by Asta Loch and I understand the new museum.......next to the castle......will be partly open this year. And going over the Trondra and Burra bridges and maybe right down to Papil to see the restored house. Even from the outside it looks good.

Why not pop into the tourist office at Market Cross and pick up a raft of leaflets which they can look through and let them select places to visit that they think they can manage.

Jarleshof (most of it can be seen from the paths that are in situ).

Unst boat museum (Fully accessable).

The museum at Lerwick (Fully accessable with lifts to the upper floor).

Braewick cafe ((For the excellent food and fantastic views (fully accessable).

There are also sea trips where the crew give assistance to the lesser able person.

Mal

Yes- we went a run to Papil in Burra last week- the croft house looks good from the road, and a bonny scenic run.

Going through Nesting is a bonny run.

and also down through Quendale right out to Fitful Head- should see Tirricks? The Quendale Mill on the way is accessible with accessible toilets. The Scatness Broch is not very accessible though.

I always took visitors into St Margarets RC Church to see the stained glass window- all Shetland scenes, really beautiful - bonny wee kirk. If you can get parked right outside it should only be a couple of yards walk, and a step? Not been there for a few years now though so I am not sure if it is now locked during the day? I'm sure the Priest would let you in to see it if you arranged a time. Check it out beforehand?

If you needed to borrow a folding wheelchair, Disability Shetland lend them out - phone to book one.