Finding the family

Farmer Brown

I'm interested in finding relations in Shetland. My branch of the family left around 1870, and as far as I know only one of us, my great-grandfather, has been back. I'd like someone to point me in the right direction.

If you are curious, here is a link to my current location: [***mod edit - removed link to a dairy farming business website in New Zealand***]

I know who I am looking for; what I'd like to find is a site where people who take an active interest in such things are regularly congregating.

Any ideas, anyone?

[***Mod edit - moved thread from Welcome to the Shetlink forum to History & Culture***]

Maybe instead of spamming a link to your website if you gave some details like for instance your family name that may help also where they came from in Shetland.

So tell me that Tait, Laurenson, Henry and Jamieson are uncommon names in Shetland. The reason that I didn't was because I figured that most here would be uninterested, and I wanted a link to somewhere else where these things are discussed.

The link was only for the curious and you would have noticed (if you opened it ) that the family names were in there. That 's why I put it there.

I did not think that this was the appropriate forum, but being new I couldn't know that.

Am I in the right place?

I know where they came from, birth dates etc. for several Shetland generations. What I don't have is the siblings of my great-great grandfather, all of whose children came to N.Z.

Maybe the moderator could reinstate the link so I don't get any replies from disinterested parties?

The names are fairly common if you start a post in the history and culture section with a bit more detail some of the folks more interested in geneaology may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for that. It is what I was looking for.

You'll find out a lot from this website

http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

also can I apologise for the rudness of some others who replied on this form - sadly that is what Shetlink is like these days. If you visit Shetland you'l find out that most folks are friendly and helpful.

So tell me that Tait, Laurenson, Henry and Jamieson are uncommon names in Shetland.

According to my calculations in the 1901 Census they ranked in popularity as follows

2. Jamieson

10. Laurenson

15. Tait

28. Henry

Jamieson and Tait relations of my own emigrated to New Zealand so we may have connections.

Thanks for responding. I know the geneaology back to the 1700s but that is too far back I think.

The generation that I am interested in is the one where a retired sea captain Gideon Jamieson b.15 Dec 1824 at Greentown, Walls marries Mary Laurenson b. 10 Sep 1823 West burrafirth, Aithsting on the Jamieson side, and produce (among others) John Jamieson b.10 Aug 1854 Greentown, Walls.

John, James and Laurence Jamieson came to N.Z. together in about 1870, and at some point John returned to Shetland to bring out Gideon and Mary.

A fourth brother Arthur Jamiesonb. 8 Nov 1862, Greentown , came out later, as did two sisters , Barbara and Catherine.

Meanwhile Mary Laurenson's cousin, Agnes Laurenson b. 1829 Whalwick, marries Peter Tait b.~1835 and produce Mary Tait b.22Jul 1861Uphouse, Aith, Aithsting.

The union of this John Jamieson and Mary Tait in N.Z. produces my grandfather, Peter Tait Jamieson, b. 20 March 1902, Foxton line N.Z.

So I imagine that the above would enable someone in Shetland today to make the connection if they so wished.

I'm interested in finding relations in Shetland. My branch of the family left around 1870, and as far as I know only one of us, my great-grandfather, has been back. I'd like someone to point me in the right direction.

If you are curious, here is a link to my current location: [***mod edit - removed link to a dairy farming business website in New Zealand***]

I know who I am looking for; what I'd like to find is a site where people who take an active interest in such things are regularly congregating.

Any ideas, anyone?

[***Mod edit - moved thread from Welcome to the Shetlink forum to History & Culture***]

Well mod, thanks for getting me to the right place. The reason for the link to the family farm is that it belonged to my grandfather, Peter Tait Jamieson, and is notable for the fact that, for the third time in four generations, a factory has been set up to process the milk. John, James and Laurence Jamieson were among the first to make cheese in the district, using the milk of the three Jamieson farms at Awapuni.

Then Peter Tait Jamieson started the town milk industry for what is now the city of Palmerston North.

The current generation has built a factory on the family farm and now makes yoghurt at Biofarm.

The names are fairly common if you start a post in the history and culture section with a bit more detail some of the folks more interested in geneaology may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for that. It is what I was looking for.

You'll find out a lot from this website

http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

Also can I apologise for the rudness of some others who replied on this form - sadly that is what Shetlink is like these days. If you visit Shetland you'l find out that most folks are friendly and helpful.

Thank you for that. If I don't succeed in finding living persons, then I'll have a dig around in that site.

My family live at the croft next to Greentown in Walls. My cousin Mona Walterson is the registrar for Sandsting and Aithsting and lives in West Burrafirth. If you get in touch with her she will definitely be able to help you.

I don't know if she has an email address but if you contact the registry office in Lerwick they may be able to help you.

Farmer Brown, can you send link, I was interested but only got to get a quick look on my phone.

There are groups that can help as well, I found many of my relatives using the Bayanne site going back to 1750s, then someone else here said they have found details going back further to a castaway fiddler on Unst. If you can get the background it can be very exciting.

We have a Laurenson in our family, the eldest is still partying and over 102 years old

Good luck.

Farmer Brown, can you send link, I was interested but only got to get a quick look on my phone.

There are groups that can help as well, I found many of my relatives using the Bayanne site going back to 1750s, then someone else here said they have found details going back further to a castaway fiddler on Unst. If you can get the background it can be very exciting.

We have a Laurenson in our family, the eldest is still partying and over 102 years old

Good luck.

Ssshhh! Don't tell anyone :-) www.biofarm.com

A castaway fiddler you say. There are not too many fiddlers left in the family in these parts, but plenty of musicians. I don't have any videos of the T Bar Jays, the family band, but here is Farmer Brown and son in one of their regular gigs.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mahia-Blackmore-Arnold-Tihema-and-the-Paradise-Band/174779355880271?sk=app_2392950137